Red Dog Rash Under Front Legs & On Groin Is Getting Worse

by Amber

Since we adopted our dog, he's had small red spots he keeps licking, but lately it's worse. It was just his groin area, now it's under his front arms.

I thought it was food allergies, so first I switched to Iams Sensitive Skin, them Rachel Ray's Grain Free, and just yesterday got Diamond Naturals Grain Free Beef.

I'm at a loss because today he is way worse.

We adopted our lab/cocker spaniel mix from the humane society. They know the mother was a cocker spaniel, she had them there. The lab part is a guess, but he looks and acts like a lab.

Thanks for your help.

Comments for Red Dog Rash Under Front Legs & On Groin Is Getting Worse

My Online Vet Response for: Red Dog Rash under Front Legs & on groin is Getting Worse

February 5, 2014

Hi Amber,

From the photos you submitted, and the history that he was born at a shelter, the mother was probably vaccinated and he was probably 'over' vaccinated.

He may have a food allergy, but I am suspicious that he has an underlying vaccinosis. This is a condition that can trigger chronic illness in a susceptible individual. Vaccinosis can cause a weakened immune system, reactions to foods, environmental allergens, etc all occurring after one or more vaccine(s) is given.

Here are some suggestions:
1. Bathe with baby shampoo 1-2 times per week to 'cool' down his skin.
2. Make him wear an infant's or small child's white cotton T-shirt to prevent more trauma to his skin.
3. Give him oral Rescue Remedy as often as needed to 'calm' him down. Dilute the 'original' Bach Rescue Remedy in a 4 oz spray bottle. 20-30 drops in 4 oz of Spring Water. Use this spray to spray on his skin as often as needed to 'calm' the skin. (You will need to raise up his T-shirt to spray it on his skin, but LEAVE the T-shirt in place!) Only taking it off to bathe him. You can also add Rescue Remedy 2-3 drops in his water bowl once a day.
4. Give him Sulphur 12C or 6C, dry pellet or dissolve 1 pellet in a 2 oz glass dropper bottle and fill with Spring Water. Give him one dose TWO times daily for three weeks.

Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption to not give him any more vaccinations!

Keep us posted!