Red, Circular, Crusty, Swollen Dog Skin Rashes

by Hope R
(Asheville, NC)

crusty on top

crusty on top

crusty on top

Aprox 3 days ago I noticed a rash on my dog's belly. The location of spots are in his groin 1 on each side of sheath and correlate with 1 on each inside haunch/thigh. The spots on each side would be touching correlating sheath spots if he were lying down with back legs under him. In appearance they are circular, reddened, slightly swollen, crusty in places, NO hair loss and do not seem to itch or bother him at this time.

My English Bulldog is 3 years old. History: He is neutered and vaccinated. He lives with 2 adults, 2 teens and 1 other English Bulldog that is 1 year old.

He is an indoor dog and though we have a fenced back yard he rarely goes out unless accompanied by me or my husband, mostly to use the bathroom. He usually goes to his own crate if no one is home but is free to roam house. He sleeps in his crate at night.

He had alopecia and symmetrical hair loss on his sides when he was aprox 1 1/2 years that has gone away slowly with use of melatonin at night. He is prone to R ear infection if I do not clean his ears aprox 4-6 weeks. Other than that he does not any health concerns.

Comments for Red, Circular, Crusty, Swollen Dog Skin Rashes

My Online Vet Response For: Red, Circular, Crusty, Swollen Dog Skin Rashes

September 25, 2014

Hi Hope,
From the photos you sent of your 3 year old bulldog, this appears to be a superficial pyoderma, especially since it is located along skin fold areas.

Basically, this means it is similar to a human baby with diaper rash. And the skin eruptions occur in areas with increased warmth, moisture and bacteria.

Treatment: Bathe the area with a baby shampoo, rinse and dry well, every 2-3 days. NO ointments or creams should be applied. As this will only draw his attention to the area and make him lick it, causing more moisture/irritation.

Continue for at least 2 weeks.

Make sure the diet has adequate moisture.

NO DRY Dog food.

Since bull dogs are fairly large breed dogs, you may have to compromise, with 1/3 dry, 1/3 canned and 1/3 raw food in each meal. But, if you are able to feed him only canned plus RAW for the next 4-6 weeks, it will hasten his recovery.

See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,

"He had alopecia and symmetrical hair loss on his sides when he was aprox 1 1/2 years that has gone away slowly with use of melatonin at night. He is prone to R ear infection if I do not clean his ears aprox 4-6 weeks. Other than that he does not any health concerns."

In some cases, the occurrence of a health issue can appear after a vaccination. Skin problems seem to occur more often in dogs on dry dog food diets. So, an adjustment to the diet might be beneficial.

If that does not help, he may need some homeopathic remedies, and/or immune supplements.

Conventional treatment would be to give antibiotics and cortisone. I find this will only suppress the symptoms temporarily. And then he will have a recurrence in another 3-6 months. (Or some other problem!)

You may need to find a holistic veterinarian to write an vaccination exemption form to keep him healthy and avoid a condition holistic veterinarians call 'vaccinosis'. This is a syndrome created by too many vaccines, that will cause chronic illness in a susceptible individual.

Thank you
by: Hope R

Your response is much appreciated and I am immediately relieved that it something simply treated. I will get some baby shampoo today and start that regimen. I neglected in his history to state that we feed our boys a combination of dry food wet down with water to slow their eating and raw but I will investigate some canned food to add. I will let you know how he does. Thank you so very much!