Red Circle Near Dog's Genitals

by Mina
(Dayton, OH)

RED SPOT

RED SPOT

RED SPOT
RED SPOT
LETHARGIC
NORMAL

My 6 year old lab/beagle mix has a small red spot near his genitalia that he keeps licking. He did not eat or drink all day yesterday and he has been laying around. His eyes are glossy and his energy level has drastically decreased. He normally eats dry dog food and treats only.

Please provide me with a potential diagnosis and treatment.

Comments for Red Circle Near Dog's Genitals

My Online Vet Response for: Red Circle Near Dog's Genitals

November 6, 2014

Hi Mina,
From the photos of your Lab/Beagle mix's skin, and that he is lethargic and not eating, I am concerned he may have an auto-immune disease associated with bleeding disorders. Thrombocytopenia, (lack of platelets), Auto-Immune Hemolytic Anemia, (destruction of red blood cells), or any of the skin disorders that cause 'petechiation' or bruising of the skin.

This is associated with fever (higher than 103 degrees) lethargy, and anorexia.

I advise that you take him to a veterinarian as soon as possible for an exam, and complete blood panel, and consider an auto-immune panel also.

Hopefully, it is not as serious as I have described, but it would be best to have him examined.

For a holistic veterinarian, check below: