Red & brownish rash under my dogs belly

by Ashley
(Houston, TX, USA)

Kira's belly

Kira's belly

Symptoms: Head Shaking, Rash on belly & under arm pits - red spots (no pimples or bumps, just inflamed) and brown spots that look like dirt, Licking paws, hair loss, vomiting

Hi, I have a 2 yr. old mixed rott/mastiff/lab. My husband and I noticed she has been licking her paws a lot lately. We didn’t make anything of it until today when we noticed this rash on her belly and under her arms. It has red spots, and then there is brownish stuff in her skin that looks like dirt.

We washed her with her oatmeal shampoo. She's NOT itching at all. It doesn’t seem to bother her one bit.

However she started to shake her head a lot about an hour ago, she doesn’t have fleas - we’ve checked and taken measures to insure she doesn’t get them. But we do live in an apartment complex so it’s possible she has come across something during her walks.

As far as recent changes go, she spent the weekend at my in-laws home; they gave a bath with a different shampoo and fed her a different food. But we didn’t notice the rash and head shaking until today.

When we got home she had thrown up her food which is common as she has an acid reflux problem.

When we bathed her she lost a lot of hair, we brush her all the time so that’s unusual. I’m worried this is scabies or something to that nature as it’s been going around Texas. Please help.

Thank you,
Ashley

Comments for Red & brownish rash under my dogs belly

My Online Vet Response to Red & Brownish Rash under my dogs Belly

Hi Ashley,
From the photo you sent of Kira, it does NOT look like scabies. If it were scabies, or flea allergy, she would be itching and scratching non-stop.

It does look like she has had a reaction to something, that is causing small capillary rupture/ inflammation under the skin. This can be like an 'auto-immune' type reaction.

I would suggest that you take her to a veterinarian, preferably a holistic veterinarian. She needs to have an examination to take her temperature, check the color of her gums/mucous membranes, look into her ear canals, and take a blood sample.

I am unable to give you a diagnosis just from the photo, but I am a bit concerned about this rash, that it might indicate something more serious.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

Update

The next day after I posted this. Her rash disappeared, she stopped shaking her head and throwing up. I'm not sure what the problem was but I'm taking her in just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

My Online Vet Response for Red&Brownish rash under my dosgs belly

Hi Ashley,
That is wonderful that the rash cleared up. If you have her examined, please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Ashley's Story
by: Ebo

I hope that you do post the vet's opinion and treatment when you have it -- My dog is showing the beginnings of something that looks suspiciously similar...

Kira update

Ashley,

I hope Kira is doing better and you were able to get a diagnosis. I would be very interested in knowing what it was, my yellow lab has a very similar rash.

red spots with brown specs
by: Phoebe

I noticed the other day that my dog has red spots (3-4 small circles the size of a dime) around her "armpit" and inside of the redness you can see tiny dark specs. They almost look like dirt but they won't come off.

The red spots red spots are flat except one of them looks like a pimple. She's been shaking her head more than normal and licking her paws. If anyone has seen this in their dog and has any helpful hints as to what the the red spots mean please let me know.

Thanks!

My Online Vet Response for: Red & Brownish rash under my dogs belly

Hi Phoebe,
Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

same problem....help

did u ever find out what it was? I think my Shih tzu has the same thing

My english shepherd/lab has the same rash

My dog Toby also has this rash and is also shaking his head! He is currently on antibiotics,What causes this?

My Online Vet Response for: Red & brownish rash under my dogs belly

My english shepherd/lab has the same rash. What is causing this?