Red Bordered Rash on Dog's Leg Is Getting Bigger

by Belinda
(Newfoundland, Canada)

March 22nd

March 22nd

March 22nd
April 5th

My 1.5 yr old hairy hairless Chinese Crested has a skin condition and it is getting worse. It started as a small red scab like spot approximately a month ago that appeared after she was groomed. I thought it was a nick from the clippers.

She would occasionally lick at her leg and I noticed it getting larger. It got around an inch in diameter and I started treating twice a day with Chlorhexidine.

It has progressed even larger and the inside of the circular rash is normal looking. The border is red, inflamed, scabby in some parts and seems unresponsive to the Chlorhexidine (the Chlorhexidine is a couple years old, it's from my other dog who had a Staph infection on her leg).

I'm wondering if the Chlorhexidine is expired or if this is something fungal (ringworm) that needs a different treatment?

Comments for Red Bordered Rash on Dog's Leg Is Getting Bigger

My Online Vet Response for: Red Bordered Rash on Dog's Leg is Getting Bigger

April 7, 2014

Hi Belinda,

From the photo you sent of your dog's hind leg, the stifle area (knee) appears to have a superficial pyoderma. This is caused by bacteria, and made worse if she is licking it. Hairless breeds have VERY delicate skin compared to dogs with a 'normal' hair coat. So, *minor* skin problems always seem to be more complicated in these hairless breeds.

1. Cleaning to remove surface bacteria--
You are on the right track with the cleansing, but your chlorhexidene may be expired. Or considering how sensitive her skin is now, perhaps she would respond to a Baby shampoo. Bathe the area one time daily, rinse and dry well, for at least ONE week. Then two times per week for two weeks.

2. Prevent her from licking the area--
Either a soft E-Collar, here is one brand, http://www.trimlineinc.com/

or make her wear a pair of men's boxer shorts with her tail going out the 'fly'.

3. Give her Sulphur 12C or 6C, one pellet by mouth TWO times daily for three weeks. This is a homeopathic remedy available at most health food stores, (although, I have no idea what is available in Newfoundland!) or you can order it on line. http://www.homeopathyworks.com/product.php?xProd=8622&xSec=32

http://www.boironusa.com/products/sulphur/

4. See a holistic veterinarian, especially if she is NOT improving in the next 5-7 days. A skin scraping should be done to rule out mange, or other problems.

And also to make sure that she does not have any other debilitating disease, such as an auto-immune condition causing her to have delayed healing.