Red & Black Rash on Dog's Underbelly with Hair Loss

by Josephine
(New Jersey)

Peyton's Skin Rash

Peyton's Skin Rash

Peyton's Skin Rash
Peyton

Our 3 year old golden retriever has had a recurring skin rash for the past two years. Originally it was seasonal only in the spring and vet treated with antibiotics and steroids and the rash would go away.

Recently, the rash has not gotten better, and has in fact gotten worse to include hair loss. He itches his underbelly and sometimes licks his paws.

We changed his bedding thinking he could have been allergic to something in his bed but this has not helped.

We changed his food to Iams simple and natural. He is responding well to the food, but it is not improving his rash.

Have also tried to wash him with medicated soap recommended by the vet. It helps with his itching, but no improvement in color or hair loss.

We also give him Benadryl morning and night to reduce itching and allow him to sleep. His ear infections have become more frequent since the rash has gotten worse.

We feel as if the steroids and medicated soap is only treating the symptoms and not the cause / root of the problem to make the rash disappear for good. I hope this description is enough to help!

Comments for Red & Black Rash on Dog's Underbelly with Hair Loss

My Online Vet Response for: Red&Black Rash on Dog's Underbelly with Hair Loss

Hi Josephine,
Your photo of Peyton shows he is such a cute boy, too young to have all these problems!

At 3 years of age, he has had skin allergies for TWO years, which started off seasonal, (in the Spring) and then became year round. This indicates it is due to inhaled allergies to pollens, grasses, trees, etc. Being suppressed for 2 years with antibiotics and steroids, has made the condition worse. The blackened color of the skin occurs when there has been chronic inflammation, the pigment becomes darker and the skin thicker in those areas. I doubt there is a *contact* allergy to the bedding, from what you have described. But it is a good idea to keep the bedding clean!

At this point, I do not have a 'quick fix', it will probably take a year to restore Peyton's health.

Here's the Plan:
1. Diet: gradual switch to a raw diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html. Primal, Bravo, Darwins, Nature's Variety, are all good brands.

2. Coconut Oil massage followed by shampoo--one time per week for 4-6 weeks, then every other week, as needed. Massage coconut oil into the skin in his groin/abdomen area. This will help to lubricate the skin, and decrease inflammation. Allow it to soak into his skin for 1-2 hours. Keep him kenneled, or in a room with no carpet or furniture. (It will not hurt him if he licks it) If he is still greasy, and the oil has not completely soaked in, then shampoo with Dawn dish soap first followed by an oatmeal shampoo). If he is not too greasy you can shampoo him with an oatmeal shampoo, by Virbac called Epi-Soothe, available from amazon.com.

3. Rescue Remedy-this is a Bach flower essence, to use orally or on the skin, wherever he is itchy. To make it up, buy the 'human' Rescue Remedy. Add 20 drops Rescue Remedy to 4 oz of spring water. Keep in a pump spray bottle. OK to refrigerate, so it will be cold and will cool down his skin.

4. Antronex by Standard Process. The main ingredient is a glandular liver supplement, and acts like an an antihistamine, by removing histamine from the skin tissue. Start with one tablet by mouth, TWO times daily.

5. No more vaccinations. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form.

6. Homeopathic remedies. In some cases, just the improvement from Iams, to a more natural diet, is all that is needed to restore health. In Peyton's case, with 2 years of suppression, just diet change and shampoo, may not be enough. You will need the help of a holistic veterinarian, and some homeopathic vaccines.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Red & Black Rash on Dog's Underbelly with Hair Loss PART TWO

Hi Josephine,
Here is the rest of my response.

7. Immune support- Peyton may also need an immune system supplement, such as these:

Immuplex by Standard Process, available from amazon.com (one capsule opened and sprinkled in food two times daily)
--------------------------------------------------
OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder
http://www.belfield.com/megac226.php
Missing Link powder for dogs
http://www.missinglinkproducts.com/products/?catid=3

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of the left
margin
. Thank you!

Peyton's miraculous recovery NEW
by: Josephine

I wanted to update you on Peyton's condition since I wrote to you in February. I added natron ex to his food and used the coconut oil and well as the Bach flower essence, but the noticeable improvement came when I changed his food. I gradually switched him to the raw food diet by Nature's Variety. Within two days he stopped shedding. After a month, the hair loss on his underbelly started to grow back. He stopped scratching and has had minimal ear infections. After six months he is the picture of health. It's amazing! His overall coat is thick and shiny and his energy level has increased. Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. It saved Peyton's life!

Peyton's miraculous recovery NEW
by: Josephine

Peyton's miraculous recovery NEW
by: Josephine

My Online Vet Response for: Red & Black Rash on Dog's Underbelly with Hair Loss NEW

September 1, 2013

Hi Josephine,

You are very welcome. I am glad that Peyton has made a full recovery. A raw diet is the healthiest.