Recurring Blood in Cat Urine

by Toni
(Weiden, Germany)

Urine. :(

Urine. :(

Urine. :(
Baby

1. I have a cat that is a mixed breed. I took in both her and her mother. Her mother was 1 at the time, and she was just a baby. Mother had almost constant urinary tract infections. They cleared up with wet food. The cats are now 10 and 11.

2. Now Baby (the baby cat…10 yrs.) has almost constant problems with frequent urination of blood and mucus.

3. 2 years ago I left the cats at home during the summer while my family and I took a trip back home. I got someone to watch over the cats. She was not pleased. She did not groom herself. The problems really started here.

4. She has been to the vet numerous times. They say that it's anxiety or stress.

5. Every time she comes down with a cold, she also presents these same symptoms.

6. I have been to more than one vet. They have all taken X-rays and have found that there is nothing that should be causing the blood.

7. Of course, she always responds well to pain medication and antibiotics. However, two weeks later the same symptoms come back.

7. When my mother took care of her last year, she responded well to the homeopathic remedy tincture that included a mix of Aconitum D3, Belladonna D3, Dulcamara D4, Helleborus niger D2 Vs. 4a, Juniperus communis D2 Vs. 3a, Sabal serrulatum D1 Vs. 3a, and Thuja D4. We would drop a few drops in her food, and it seemed to keep the pain and urination away.

8. Even on the remedy listed in #7, she still had mild urinary problems. She continued to pee in corners with blood.

9. She is now peeing bright blood. This is normal. It's sad, because it shouldn't be normal.

10. She is constantly licking herself.

11. She LOVES to be outside. If she is not allowed to be outside, the problem gets to be much worse. She needs to hunt.

Please help. I do think that when she is not feeling well and when she is anxious/stressed she presents most of these symptoms. She is VERY needy and craves constant attention. Please help! Thanks!

Comments for Recurring Blood in Cat Urine

Ah! Food!
by: Toni

I forgot to mention how the food situation has been.

She used to eat Wiskas brand up until she began having the urinary tract issues. Her vet then changed her food to Royal Canin Urinary for the problem. This worked for awahile, and then it got worse. I then switched her diet to only wet food. It worked for awhile, and then it got worse again. I just don't know what else to do. She will drink when she is thirsty. It makes some difference, but not much.

My Online Vet Response for: Recurring Blood in Cat Urine

March 1, 2015

Hi Toni,
Baby has the exact problem of my own cat, who is 9 years old. (And he has suffered with the condition since he was 4 months old!) The condition is called Interstitial Cystitis. There is no cure. There is only management of the condition.

1. Diet: NO DRY CAT food. A raw diet is the best. Certainly feeding a good quality canned food in combination with raw would be acceptable. Avoid artificial ingredients, no preservatives, no artificial colors.

2. Stress: Give Rescue Remedy one to two drops added to the water bowl. It does not matter if the mother cat drinks some too! You can also make up a bottle of Rescue Remedy, using the 'human' one with alcohol. I add 20 drops to a 2 oz glass dropper bottle, and fill with Spring Water. Give by mouth TWO times daily.

3. Inflammation of the bladder:
Dasuquin by Nutramaxx. comes in a capsule form. Besides glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, it contains saponified fatty acids that may help the lining of the bladder. http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/cat/cat-joint-bone-health/dasuquin-for-cats

Carpon from concentrated cranberry.http://belfield.com/product/carpon-100-tablets/
I use this product in my own cat because he is a male, and I wish to avoid any crystal formation that might develop from the chronic irritation.

4. NO Vaccinations.

I have tried numerous homeopathic remedies, to no avail. Perhaps some of the above suggestions will help Baby!