Recommended Dog Multi-vitamin & Joint Supplement

by Anisley
(Amityville, NY, US)

I want to start adding multi-vitamins to her diet and a joint supplement as well. She has luxating patella in both back legs. Last year they said she had 2 out of 4 in one, and a 3 out of 4 in the other one.

They said worst case scenario it could convert into arthritis. So far she doesn't seem to be in pain and she goes up and down stairs all day!

Can you recommend a specific product for her daily vitamin intake and something that helps with joints?

She is a 5 year old female Yorkie with no health issues so far. I feed her Castor and Pullox Organic formula and sometimes I add to her diet homemade pasta or brown rice with vegetables and chicken breast, or other organic treats.

Comments for Recommended Dog Multi-vitamin & Joint Supplement

My Online Vet Response for: Recommended Dog Mult-vitamin & Joint supplement

Hi Anisley,

Luxating patellas are a fairly common problem seen in small and toy breeds. Fortunately, due to the low body weight in toy breeds, I rarely see this condition progress to arthritis.

Of course, I advise that the food be canned or RAW. NO DRY FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

Maintain a normal body weight, and do not let her get overweight.

The best supplement to help all of the ligaments and tendons in the body, is called Ligaplex from Standard Process. It comes in a capsule form, and the dose for a small Yorkshire terrier, would be to add 1/4-1/3 capsule to each meal two times daily.

Another good *all purpose* supplement by Standard Process is called, Canine Whole Body Support.

OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder is a great multi-vitamin mineral supplement that was developed by a veterinarian in San Jose, California, Dr. Belfield, at OrthoMolecular Specialties,

There are a HUGE number of joint supplements for dogs. Here are a few that I feel are very good:

1. Sea Jerky, http://www.coastsidebio.com/products_for_dogs/cat_21.html

2. Glycoflex, http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=6

3. Chondroflex by Vitality Systems, http://www.healthypets.com/chbyvisy.html

4. Dasuquin by Nutramax, http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/index.php/dog/dog-joint-bone-health/dasuquin-for-dogs

Other factors that might effect the overall health of your dog, would be toxic flea/tick products or any other chemical based topical ointments.

And avoid too many vaccinations.

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian for ongoing care, would be the best plan for your dog.

- Alternative Medicine for Dogs