Raw, Scabby, Bleeding, Pussing Growth with Round Areas on Dog's Neck

by Marsha
(Clarkston, WA)

My pug has this growth on the back of her neck. It started out as a subaceous gland cyst. I kept it clean and once in a while the usual thick curdy discharge would come out of it. Then it started swelling and bleeding. It would swell up with blood and then burst and a lot of blood would come out of it and it would shrink. Then it would start swelling and filling with blood again.

Then it started forming this strange looking growth that has several rounded areas to it. It bleeds and once in a while pus comes out. Portions of it is black. Some of it is raw and scabby. It's about as big as the end of my thumb from nail bed to thumb tip.

She scratches a lot at it, especially when I try to clean it. I keep strips of cut up towels pinned around her neck to prevent her from getting her toe nails into it, also to keep from getting blood all over when she gets it to bleeding and just to cover it because it is ugly and gross.

She is a 15 year old pug, so I hesitate to take her in and have surgery to remove it. I don't know if she would survive the surgery at her age. Also, I'm not sure if it's worth the expense when she has pretty well lived out her life expectancy.

I'm just not sure what this thing is or how I can make it more tolerable to deal with. I've been giving her a mix of dry and canned food along with turmeric and Essiac tea in her food each night. She has not had vaccinations in at least 5 years & the vet is bugging me to let him vaccinate her. I have avoided going to the vet because of this.

I clean the area with hydrogen peroxide and at least once or twice a day with Essiac tea. It's a challenge to work on it because she scratches so violently when I do. I wear an oven mitt so she can scratch on that to her hearts to content while I try to clean it up.

Any ideas as to what this is and how I can treat it?

Comments for Raw, Scabby, Bleeding, Pussing Growth with Round Areas on Dog's Neck

My Online Vet Response for: Raw, Scabby, Bleeding Pussing Growth with Round Areas on Dog's Neck

February 23, 2014

Hi Marsha,
For your 15 year old Pug, I suspect the purulent discharge and periodic flare-ups are due to bacteria infection inside the sebaceous cyst, with secondary granulation tissue or 'proud flesh' building up from chronic inflammation. These glands are part of the hair follicle, and therefore connected to the surface. Her insistence on scratching will also introduce bacteria to the area.

Your idea of wearing an oven mitt while changing her neck wrap is genius!

At 15 years old, I would not suggest surgery either! However I am not sure how well she will respond to homeopathic remedies, but it is worth a try. Two remedies that may be useful are Thuya and Silicea. Thuya is good for warts, tumors, and cancerous growths. Silicea is useful for infections and abscesses. (And also, proud flesh).

I suggest that you start with Silicea 12C or 30C and give her one dose two times daily, by mouth, for 3 weeks. Monitor her growth, amount of discharge, tendency to scratch, etc. Send an update to decide if a higher potency is needed, or if the same potency should be continued, or if she is ready to change to Thuya.

Homeopathic remedies are available at health food stores, or from a holistic veterinarian.

You can give her one dry pellet by mouth for each dose, OR, dissolve one pellet in a glass eyedropper bottle, and fill with Spring Water, succuss, (by hitting the bottle against the palm of your hand 20 times) and give her 1/2 dropperful for each dose. Dr Pitcairn's book, "Natural Health for Dogs and Cats" and more details on preparing homeopathic remedies.

Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide one to two times daily and bathing her two times per week with baby shampoo, will help to keep it clean.

I congratulate you on standing firm against vaccinating her!! She should NOT be vaccinated. You can refer to the text, Current Veterinary Therapy XI, the chapter on *Annual Vaccinations* by Dr Ron Schultz. This came out in 1992, and describes 'Annual Vaccinations' as unnecessary and obsolete, since immunity to viruses last for many years or for the life of the animal!