Rash on Underside - Ringworm or Mange

by Phil Reardon
(Carbondale, IL)

Bailey's Rash

Bailey's Rash

A rash with hair loss has developed on Bailey's underside over the past few weeks. She is a 1.5 year old neutered female mutt.

The rash is right at the botton of her rib cage, she seems uncomfortable when we touch it. We only noticed it by seeing it, as she doesn't scratch or bite at it.

My fiancee thinks it looks like it's bruising, but I'm not so sure. Bailey has some allergies, as she occasionally gets green discharge around her eyes, I'm wondering if this is could be related. She also got over a bout with canine ehrlichia this past spring.

As far as treatment goes, we have yet to try anything. Her diet consists of the Purina Pro Plan shredded chicken blend & we have not noticed any behavioral or dietary changes.

Comments for Rash on Underside - Ringworm or Mange

My Online Response for Rash on Underside
by: Dr.Carol Jean Tillman

Hi Phil,
The photo you submitted of the 'rash' on Bailey's chest/abdomen area appears similar to the fungus 'ringworm' or mange (caused by Demodex mites). Neither of these conditions will cause itching.

See Dog Skin Conditions and Parasites for more information about each.

These conditions are commonly found in young dogs, 6 months to 2 years of age, and occur after a stress such as a vaccinations, boarding in a kennel, moving to a new house, a new baby in the household or adoption of a new pet. The green eye discharge is probably due to the fact that she is sick, I do not usually see this when they have allergies.

The location of this 'rash' at the lower portion of her sternum is also the site of trauma. In young active dogs that will sort of slide into catching a ball or frisbee, this part of their chest is the first to hit the ground. It does not look like a typical 'bruise' but you mentioned that she recently recovered from Ehrlichia, which can cause bleeding abnormalities, low platelet counts, etc. I would be a bit concerned that she is having a relapse.

Besides searching for a holistic veterinarian in your area to help you, you should also consider improving Bailey's diet.

If the Purina Pro Plan shredded chicken blend is a dry food, please check our raw natural dog food diet suggestions. Ehrlichia is a disease caused by a tick bite, but many times will go into remission, only to return again during times of stress. Following the advice of a holistic veterinarian will help Bailey to regain her health.

Also, learn how to use more 'natural' methods of tick and flea control.