Rash on Dog's Chest Now Spreading

by Kimberley
(Anchorage AK)

Our pitbull mix was purchased at a pound. At around 1 year of age, he developed a red rash in the creases of his thighs (both sides) which he wanted to lick profusely.

We took him to a vet and they prescribed antibiotics and a spray to help him not lick the area. It has never cleared and he had developed oval like lesions that seem to have healed but are light in color.

He now is getting lesions on his chest. My husband bought a different dog food and we have been spraying for weeds in the yard this year. We have a boston terrior and he has not developed anything.

I am a nurse and I thought he may have ringworm but noone else has gotten anything. He also seems to have always had very brittle nails that break easily.

Comments for Rash on Dog's Chest Now Spreading

My Online Vet Response for: Rash on Dog's Chest Now Spreading

August 20, 2014

Hi Kimberly,
Your Pitbull Mix has a superficial pyoderma. This may have been a contact allergy that first triggered it. (possibly to the weedkiller?) And her itching and scratching created the secondary dermatitis and pyoderma.

Many times, in my experience, this can seem to appear after a vaccine is given. A condition in holistic medicine called, 'vaccinosis'.

Here are some suggestions for treatment:

1. Keep her skin clean and dry. Bathe her with an oatmeal shampoo, one time per week. This will help to decrease the itching, and remove surface bacteria.

2. Make her wear a T-shirt. This will prevent more self-trauma from her scratching.

3. DIET: you did not mention which food your husband bought, but check out our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html, and consider a RAW diet. According to Dr. Richard Pitcairn, in his book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, it seems that "dogs do not develop the same allergic reactions to raw food that they do to cooked food." A raw diet will also help brittle nails.

4. It is not ringworm. But a visit to a veterinarian for a fungus culture or exam with a UV/ black light can diagnose this condition.

5. Contact allergy to the weed killer that is used on your yard may be what started this.

6. Homeopathic remedy--Use Sulphur 12C two times daily for 3-6 weeks for itching. You may need to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to guide you with the remedies. And I would advise NO MORE vaccinations until her condition is completely cleared up. Even then, I would be concerned if she had a vaccine her skin condition might return.