Rash on Dog's Belly

by Ashley
(Canada)

My 2 year old Rotti/Lab cross has a very large red and purple rash all over his belly by his genitals and on the inside of his thighs. He hasn't been scratching them as far as I know and they don't seem to bother him much.

The only thing I can think of that he has changed since we got him 4 weeks ago has been his food.

What is this and how can we treat it?

Comments for Rash on Dog's Belly

My Online Vet Response to Rash on Dog's Belly

Hi Ashley,
The photo you sent is not large enough for me to give you a diagnosis. Nor did you say how long the rash has been present. It may be bruising, but if it has been present for 4 weeks since you adopted him, it should have cleared up by now.

Since he is not scratching, then other conditions that would have the purple/red color would be petechiation, which is a type of bleeding into the subcutaneous layer of the skin due to a disorder in clotting. This is usually related to autoimmune problems, such as thrombocytopenia or autoimmune hemolytic anemia. It may possibly be a dog food related allergy (but allergies are usually accompanied by scratching or itching), and you did not mention what food you are presently feeding.

I would advise finding a holistic veterinarian for your dog. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

Rash Update

He has only had it for about a week and a half and today it looks although it might be fading. We put him on the Dog Chow brand dog food and that is when we noticed the rash.

My Online Vet Response for: Rash on Dog's Belly

Hi Ashley,
Purina DRY Dog Chow is NOT a good diet for maintaining a healthy skin and haircoat.

You can not only improve his skin, but also his entire health, by changing to a canned and/or RAW diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and consider some of the RAW brands, which are hopefully available in Canada.

Also, the addition of Omega 3 fish oil for dogs, 500-1,000 mg per 50-60 lb body weight will help skin inflammation.

If changing from a dry dog food to canned an/or raw does not help, he might also need some immune system supplements. Try one of these from the list below:

And if his skin is still not improving, seek the help of a holistic veterinarian.