Rash on dog appeared suddenly

This rash on our dog seems to have appeared suddenly. It appears to be over his entire body, but mostly on his belly (he has thick hair on his back so it is hard to see).

The rash has small red blotches; some feel smooth and look like they are below the skin (not raised) and some are slightly raised and rough feeling. The dark spot in the picture is a permanent freckle.

He does not seem to be in any discomfort. His gums look ok, as do his eyes.

He is not listless or sleeping more than usual.

He is shedding like crazy but that is not unusual for him, either.

His diet is unchanged (he eats Life’s Abundance Weight-Loss Formula for Adult Dogs).

Thanks for any input you may have.

Comments for Rash on dog appeared suddenly

My Online Vet Response for Rash on dog appeared suddenly

Hello,
The 'rash' that has suddenly appeared on your dog looks like it could be what is called 'petechia'. This is a rupture of small capillaries under the skin. Since it is generalized, I doubt that it is due to trauma, which would only cause it to be localized to one area.

Petechia are the result of bleeding or clotting disorders. They can be caused by toxins such as rat poison; infectious diseases, such as from a tick bite; from side effects from drugs, or from autoimmune diseases.

I would advise seeing a veterinarian ASAP for a total blood panel that includes PT and PTT (to determine clotting time) and a Coombs test to rule out autoimmune diseases.

From the information you have given me, I am not able to determine what caused the problem. A holistic veterinarian could help with a diagnosis, and perhaps give suggestions on supplements and immune stimulants to aid in healing.

Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area. Also, try AVH.org for a veterinarian knowledgeable in homeopathy.

Good Advice
by: Sherry

We took Olly into our vet immediately after receiving your reply. Our vet agreed with your diagnosis and we are awaiting results of the blood work. Thank you for your advice to seek treatment.

My Online Vet Response for: Rash on Dog appeared suddenly

Hi Sherry,
Thank you for posting a followup. Hopefully, there are some treatments for Olly to get him back to normal soon!

If your conventional veterinarian is not able to advise you on alternative treatments, perhaps a holistic vet could help. Immune support and top notch nutrition are of utmost importance.

Please continue to keep us posted.