Rash on belly & down legs & under front leg armpits

by Chris Gibson
(Beulah, CO USA)

Rash on belly & down legs & under front leg armpits...

Boomer's approx. 10 months old, lab/pit mix, rescue dog, 67.1 pounds, we've had him since he was approx. 8 weeks. He has been very healthy.

We noticed a couple red spots by his privates on Thurs (6/3) of last week. By Sunday, I looked at him and it had spread down both hind legs.

The spots looked different, and larger, but it hasn't really bothered him as far as licking it, but that is what made me look at him on Sunday.

I took him to the vet on Monday, she gave him some antibiotics which I have not given him yet. I can't find much info on the drug, Cephalexin 500mg, for bacteria is all I can find. The vet prescribed 2 pills to be taken twice a day for three weeks and told me to give him 50mg of Benadryl for the itch every 8-12 hours.

I'm all about natural stuff and would like to have another opinion of what it is and any alternative treatment. I would also like your opinion about whether we should move forward with what our vet prescribed.

The only other thing I can think of is I feed my dogs Iams, I ran out of puppy food which was also Iams, and have I switched him over to adult food. That's the only change as far as his diet is concerned.

I have given him Benedryl a couple times, and sprayed him with Colloidial Silver tonight.

I'm very much looking forward to your opinion & thanks for your time.

Chris & Boomer

Comments for Rash on belly & down legs & under front leg armpits

My Online Vet Response to Rash on belly & down legs & under front armpits

Hi Chris,
From the photo you sent of Boomer, the 'rash' appears to be raised welts. This would be more of an allergic reaction, not a bacterial infection.

He may possibly have a food allergy, as you mentioned you had changed his diet. A contact allergy would cause him to have the welts along his underside, as you showed in the photo, so it would be to something he is laying on. Even a laundry detergent that is used to wash his bedding could produce an allergic reaction.

Also, grass, weeds, fertilizer or pesticide that is on the grass outside can cause an allergic reaction. There have even been cases of dogs allergic to synthetic carpet.

I do not think that the antibiotic would be effective. Certainly bathing him in a hypoallergenic shampoo, such as baby shampoo, one to two times per week would help to give him some relief topically.

The Benedryl (an anti-histamine), might provide some relief, but has side effects of making him drowsy. There are many homeopathic remedies that would be effective, without side effects, but you need to find a veterinarian that practices homeopathy to choose the most effective remedy.

Providing him with a diet that contains more moisture, such as a canned or raw diet, would be beneficial. Feeding him a simple "Dog Allergy" diet, such as that recommended in Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, would be a start in the right direction. A 'hypo allergenic diet' would need to be fed for a minimum of 3-6 weeks before you would start to see an improvement.

Tracking down the cause of the allergic reaction would also be a good idea. For example, did this start after a vaccination? There are other questions that might need to be answered, and a holistic veterinarian would be helpful so that he/she can also examine Boomer and give you more specific recommendations.

Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area.

Rash unjder front legs
by: Kitty

We have a miniature Pit and she has the same rash. Her's is more in the right front armpit. The antibiotic the vet gave is same; however did not help LuLu. The only medication that completely cleared it up was a round of Predisone. Then after a few months it came back. We can't figure out what she is allergic to. Hope this will help.

rash on pit/lab stomach & legs
by: prizmonethree@yahoo.com

our lab/pit is chocolate but her rash is stubborn ..on her lady parts & stomach /legs . no antibiotics work nor did corn starch or desitin or ointments prescribed. i was recently told about vinegar & water both topical and in food. hope it works ... iams has corn meal & wheat too both cause allergies and skin problems ... try natures recipe at petsmart cause the cost about the same but natures recipe is free of corn & wheat & by-products ... a wayyyyy better food . good luck

Rash

I have lab who got zit like looking rash under legs, I had put down round- up around my landscaping. I think dog might have got some on him.