Rash Around Mouth Area - Demodex Mange?

by Susie Russell
(Telluride, Colorado USA)

Rash around mouth

Rash around mouth

Our dog has a rash around her mouth. It is on the top and bottom. It has been there for about 5 days and does not seem to be getting better.

It was extremely swollen the first few days and that has gotten a little better. She plays on a ranch all day and loves to dig for mice. Not sure what she did. What can I use to help healing? Thanks

Comments for Rash Around Mouth Area - Demodex Mange?

Online Response to rash around the mouth area

Hi Susie,
What a good girl to pose so nice for her picture! From her photo, it looks suspiciously like Demodectic mange. To confirm the diagnosis she needs to have a skin scraping done. The mite that causes Demodectic mange is not contagious to other dogs or to people.

The mite actually lives in normal skin, but to see it develop into a 'rash' and cause an abnormal reaction like this, indicates that the patient has a suppressed immune system. Check our page on How to treat Dog Mange, there is an excellent picture of what the mite looks like.

In many cases, demodectic mange will occur in young dogs between the ages of 6 months to 2 years. And this is commonly the time of high stress to the immune system with multiple vaccinations, being adopted into a new home, surgery for spay or neuter, new diets, etc.

Please take her to a holistic veterinarian, who can help treat the skin problem, and help to support her immune system, too. Check our page for Dog Vet Care to find a veterinarian trained in homeopathy near you. You can also check our section about a proper dog food diet to make sure she is getting the best nutrition.

Reply rash around mouth

Hi Carol,
I did forget to mention that she is a 6 month old puppy. We do go to a holistic vet, but it is 70 miles away so not easy to get to. For food, I make her Urban Wolf with puppy balancer formula made with ground beef or turkey or chicken and always salmon, eggs, canola oil, and once a month beef liver or kidneys mixed in so she eats extremely well. I will look into the mite remedies. Is it neccessary to see the vet for this condition?Thanks.
Susie

Online response for rash around the mouth area

Hi Susie,
Yes, I think that it would be a good idea to have my 'tentative' online diagnosis of demodex confirmed by a skin scraping. Demodex mange can actually spread all over the entire body, if not treated efficiently, and generalized demodex is not treatable. Dogs have been euthanized because their skin was so bad, and feet so painful they could not walk.

It sounds like you have her on a good diet. But she needs some immune support, and ongoing consults with a veterinarian who can examine her. You may be making a trip once a month for follow-ups for her condition, if it is Demodectic mange, to see your vet over the next 3-4 months. Hopefully, also treating with homeopathic remedies.

Dog Skin Conditions,
Dog Itchy Skin,
Dog Skin Rash,
Dog Skin Allergies,
Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Skin Rashes, Marks, Spots, Lesions & Patches (including itchy skin and mange) Section

Just a same NEW
by: Lana

Hi ,I read your stories and just want to ask if your puppy got any better an what did you use on the lip.My 12months Siberian husky got the same, I toke to vet and she put her on antibiotics and cortisone ,and she said if not get better she need skin scrape later after 10days for mites.. My argument why she need cortisone to suppress her immune if she need to build up..? Mishka was on antibiotics tablet and cortisone creem for anal gland just about few weeks ago.so that's what I think get them mites on first place ...help,coz I can't argue enough with vet specialist coz they know better...pls HELP..regards.

My Online Vet Response for: Rash Around Mouth Area-Demodex Mange? NEW

Hi Lana,
Your sad and frustrating experience is, unfortunately a common occurrence in 'modern' medicine. It seems to be happening to both HUMANS and animals, in conventional practice.

"your 12 months old Siberian Husky has the same symptoms and the vet gave antibiotics and cortisone, and said if not better in 10 days, then return for a skin scraping"

That is almost malpractice to prescribe a drug(s) without the proper diagnosis.

"My argument is, 'Why does she need cortisone to suppress her immune system?'

No, she does NOT need any cortisone. She needs supplements to BOOST her immune system.

"Mishka was on antibiotic tablets and cortisone cream for anal gland just a few weeks ago... so, that is what I think gave her mites in the first place"

You are VERY smart Lana! Yes, I agree. That is exactly what happened to Mishka. The anal gland problem was the first symptom of a weakened immune system. Treatment with conventional drugs, suppressed her symptoms, and as mites are already on the skin, just waiting for the opportunity to proliferate, when she was suppressed by the drugs the mites appeared.

I'm happy to help, but you need to register into the system. We only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).
Please click here to sign up and submit your question and photos.

I'll then get back to you right away at the bottom of your newly created web page.

Dog rash NEW

My dog was drinking from a plastic dish. I changed to stainless steel and it disappeared. I read that this can be a coo on cause for these rashes. It cleared up in 2 weeks but could see improvement in a week.

Dog rash NEW

February 2, 2014

Thank you for your posting! Allergic reactions to eating out of a plastic food bowl is not unusual. And the resulting rash will appear similar to Demodex mange.

A skin scraping can determine if mange mites are present.

And as you discovered, changing from a plastic to an aluminum or stainless steel or ceramic bowl, will help to clear up any allergy!