Random Frequent Dog Coughing

by Jessica L.
(Glendale, AZ)

My 11 year old female chocolate lab has been hacking /coughing only one time about every hour, maybe less.. but it's completely random. She will do it while laying down doing nothing or after playing with the other dogs or drinking water.

What she is doing seems to have no effect on when she hacks. It sounds like she is trying to cough up a hair all or something she choked on.

It started about a month ago..and now she has started eating less..she's always finished her food immediately after its served but now she eats a little but then walks away.

We're planning on taking her into the vet this week, but Id like to have an idea what it might be before we go so that I am not completely blind sided. Thank you!

Comments for Random Frequent Dog Coughing

My Online Vet Response For: Random Frequent Dog Coughing

November 21, 2014

Hi Jessica,
Since you live in Arizona, my first thought regarding your 11 year old Chocolate Lab with a cough that has persisted for over one month, is Valley Fever.

Other differential diagnosis would be to rule out:
1. Heartworm Disease
2. Bronchitis
3. Congestive heart failure
4. Cancer

I would advise that you take her in for an exam, chest x-ray and complete blood panel.

Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below. I would be very interested in knowing what they find.