Raised round bump on dogs back

by Karen
(Twin Pines, CA, USA)

We noticed a spot on our miniature pinschers back about 2 weeks ago that looked like a very small bump that was losing hair. She now has a bump just a little smaller than a dime & it is firm, almost hard & flat. It raises up about 2mm off of the skin & if you mess with it too much she bites at you. It does not have any noticeable discoloration.

Comments for Raised round bump on dogs back

My Online Vet Response for: Raised round bump on dogs back

Hi Karen,
If this bump has grown this fast in TWO weeks, I am very concerned it may be a Mast Cell tumor or a Histiocytoma.

You did not tell me your dog's age. If she is between 6 mos to 2 years, then it is probably a histiocytoma - a benign tumor that may go away by itself with some improvement in diet, immune supplements and no more vaccinations.

If she is OVER 2 years old, then it may be a Mast Cell tumor. These are more serious growths, and can sometimes spread rapidly if they are surgically removed. And I would, again, advise against vaccinating her any more.

I would strongly advise you to seek out a holistic veterinarian to check this bump on your dog's back.

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section