Raised red rash/bumps on dog's chin

by Lori
(Whitsett, NC)

Chin Rash taken 6/5/12

Chin Rash taken 6/5/12

About two weeks ago, my dog developed raised bumps/rash under her chin. We thought it might be fire ant bites; however, it hasn't resolved. It also looks like foliculitis/canine acne. The bumps have popped with a minimal amount of bloody drainage.

She is a 1-year old spayed lab/hound mix with short-medium hair. The area may have become irritated from playing with a toy she likes that often rubs under her chin.

I tried cleaning 3 times daily with warm compresses and then applying 2.5% benzoylperoxide which did not seem to help. Now I am trying triple antibiotic cream. We took the toy away as well. The rash does not seem worse, but not much better. I have attached a photo taken yesterday.

Thank you.

Comments for Raised red rash/bumps on dog's chin

My Online Vet Response for: Raised red rash/bumps on dog's chin

Hi Lori,
You are correct, your dog does have folliculitis/canine acne. In holistic medicine, skin eruptions can represent a 'stress' to the system, especially with a depressed immune system. Of course, there may be localized irritation, but in the majority of cases, I have not found that to be the case. This may take 3-6 weeks to clear up with some corrections in diet, supplements and skin care.

1. First, clean her chin with hydrogen peroxide or warm water, then gently squeeze the pimples. Followed by an application of hydrogen peroxide. Do this one time daily for the next 2-3 weeks.

2. Her diet should be MORE canned, and LESS DRY Dog Food. Or consider a RAW dog food diet for her.
See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

3. Was she recently vaccinated? Vaccines will affect the immune system and she may need homeopathic remedies to treat 'vaccinosis'.

4. Immune supplements. Consider the addition of immune supplements to her diet, such as Immuplex by Standard Process, the Missing Link or Mega C powder, if the above does not clear up the condition:

My dog's chin has healed.
by: Lori

Dr. Tillman,

Thank you for your advice. My dog's chin has completely healed now. As you said, it would take a while to heal. Draining and keeping the wounds clean really did the trick. I already feed my dog a holistic, real food diet with supplements so no diet changes were necessary.

Thanks again.

Hi Lori,
Thank you so much for the update on your dog's chin. I am glad that she healed. It looks like it took about 3-4 weeks to heal.

With the good nutrition in her diet, and proper hygiene, she should not have any future problems. If she does have another outbreak, consider supplementing her with some immune support such as the options listed in my response above.

Rash help NEW

Hi
I have the same problem with my Labrador. What strength of hydrogen peroxide would you suggest for this?
Thanks

My Online Vet Response for: Raised red rash/bumps on dog's chin NEW

January 6, 2014

Use regular strength, (over the counter), hydrogen peroxide on the chin, for canine acne.

Thanks for your question. We accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

Response to Dr. Tillman and other comment NEW
by: Lori

Yes, I used regular strength hydrogen peroxide as Dr. Tillman advised. My dog has not had any further breakouts. I adjusted her diet as well. Thank you.

Big lumps on chin NEW
by: Missy

Same thing but when I squeeze them pus and hair come shooting out and they whip away looks like there's a big white head in them but feels hard just noticed this today