Raised red rash inside my dog's thigh and on her stomach

by Deb M.
(Eastern PA)

My five year old ridgeback/retriever mix came up with a bright red smooth and rough looking rash on the area at the crux of her thighs and belly this week. I just rolled her over and it is on her chest and armpits too.

Although she isn't scratching constantly, she is scratching/nipping/licking it frequently. She has no signs of fleas or flakiness of skin anywhere and has never had a condition like this or any other before.

Her food has not changed. No chemicals in floor cleaners, use a steamer. No new laundry chemicals for her bed.

My daughter recently adopted a pug with a very similar rash in the same area. She was told by the previous owner that it was allergies. She visits frequently and we walk the dogs together. My dog has not visited her house in the last two weeks, but her's was here last week.

I am guessing it may be some contagious type of skin ailment?

Iwould like to know what to do to make her more comfortable and make it go away. She is too big for our tub and we usually give her outdoor baths in the summer and take her to the groomer in the winter.

Comments for Raised red rash inside my dog's thigh and on her stomach

My Online Vet Response for: Raised red rash inside my dog's thigh and on her stomach

Hi Deb,
Without a photo, it is a little difficult to answer your question regarding your 5 year old Ridgeback/Retriever's skin rash and what caused it.

From the location you mentioned and the description (without a photo), it could possibly be due to poison oak or poison ivy. Most dogs run through brush and foliage, and the pads of their feet are so thick it does not bother them. If a dog LAYS down in it, the areas where most dogs have a thinner haircoat (armpits, groin, belly_ will be irritated by the oils released by the crushed leaves of these plants.

I do not think it is 'contagious' but the oils can be retained by a dog's hair, and if you or another dog were to touch that area, you would probably break out in a similar rash. You will need to somehow give your dog a thorough bath with DAWN DISH detergent to remove the oils, rinse well, then shampoo with baby shampoo (very mild) OR oatmeal shampoo to soothe the itch.

You may need to do this one time per week for 3-4 weeks to calm down the skin. If you repeated this 2-3 times per week, you will dry out your dog's skin, and make it worse.

Otherwise, please send a photo. OR take your dog in for an exam, preferably by a holistic veterinarian.