Raised Meaty Red Spot Beside Paw Pad

by Belinda
(Townsville Queensland, Australia)

My almost 2 year old Great Dane that weighs 56KGS has recently presented with a red meaty lump on her paw right beside her pad. It is a little tender and she has licked it to the point that it is bleeding.

It is almost like her pads are 'peeling' off from the corners. It is very tissue-like in appearance. It is not like a blister and does not present like a bite or splinter.

She is showing the same symptoms in the other foot though not quite as severe.

I have treated with Salvol up until recently I have used Neocort of which I had in the 'animal first aid kit'.

The Neocort has helped in the appearance of the lumps though the dog is still licking to the point of bleeding and re bandaging is needed.

I have a history in my other dog of folliculitis but this has never been present in this dog.
This dog has had a recent tick but treatment has been provided and no other tick was found on the dog other that the original tick found on her neck.

This dog has a history of Hypertrophic Dystrophy to a severe category.

This dog does jump on a fence that has nails and splintered wood and although there is no evidence of splinters I am mentioning this. This behaviour is rectified when we are home and is very minimal in occurrence.

Comments for Raised Meaty Red Spot Beside Paw Pad

My Online Vet Response for: Raised Meaty Red Spot Beside Paw Pad

March 5, 2014

Hi Belinda,
Your Great Dane has a growth on her toe. (It is not from trauma or a splinter). From the photo I cannot tell if this is a benign wart or a tumor such as a histiocytoma or mast cell tumor, as all three look similar in appearances.

Considering she also has Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy, would indicate that she is not in the best of health. An eruption on the toe, in holistic terms, indicates she is trying to move 'disease' outward. Using a holistic approach, to take care of a tumor or wart, might also help the HOD. (Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy)

I would start with Thuya occidentalis, either in dry pellets, (give her 30C one pellet by mouth one time daily for 3 days) or dissolve one pellet in 2 oz Spring Water, in a dropper bottle, and give her 1/2 dropperful by mouth one time daily for 3 days.

NO VACCINATIONS.

You may need to consult with a holistic veterinarian to have an exemption form written. And also to guide you along as she responds to the remedy. In some cases, a higher potency may be needed, or she may need to switch to a different remedy depending on her response.

Regarding the 'peeling' skin from her pads, if you decrease the dry food you feed, and add in some canned and/or raw meat, (no RAW PORK or RAW FISH), that would help to increase the moisture in her diet and help her skin, hair coat and overall health in general. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html.

I have found in some cases that a supplement to boost the immune system may be needed when they have an illness such as HOD. Check out some of these: 1. Missing Link Canine Formula