Puss-like Discharge of Dog's Tear Ducts in Both Eyes

by Jade F.
(Greensboro, NC, USA)

white puss around her eye

white puss around her eye

I noticed Friday that my dog Nyah had what looked like cold in her eye but then while wiping it I realized it was more like white puss-looking discharge. This has happened every day since and it doesn't take long for it to come back.

It started out as just the right eye but now the left eye is starting to do the same thing this morning her right eye was completely shut with the white pus discharged.

I am not sure what to do. I don't have the money to get her to the vet right now. She is not rubbing at her eye that I can see bit she likes to lay in her crate sometimes pressing her eye into the metal grating on the side.

Nyah is a rat terrier/poodle mix aged 3 years.

Comments for Puss-like Discharge of Dog's Tear Ducts in Both Eyes

My Online Vet Response for: Puss-like Discharge of Dog's Tear Ducts in Both Eyes

November 11, 2014

Hi Jade,
The photo of Nyah is not very clear, or very close-up on her eyes. I am suspicious that her problem may be a condition called, 'dry eye'.

Dry eye is caused by a lack of proper tears being produced from the tear gland. To help maintain good lubrication of the cornea, the glands of the eyelashes will produce a mucous discharge in an attempt to protect the cornea. This discharge is not like tears and will 'clog' up the eyelids, eyelashes and tear ducts.

There is a test to measure tear production that can be done at a veterinarian office. In the meantime, you can rinse her eyes thoroughly with saline (regular saline from a pharmacy will work, but not contact lens solution.) The rinsing will need to be done about 4-6 times daily. Then use artificial tear ointment, after you have rinsed her eyes. You can also use olive oil, or sweet almond oil, to drop into her eyes as a substitute for artificial tear ointment, as it is less expensive. Just pour it into a glass eye dropper bottle, and drop 2-3 drops into each eye.

Dry eye, or Kerato-Conjunctivitis Sicca, is considered to be an auto-immune disease and most holistic veterinarians worry that it may be the result of too many vaccinations.

You should also 'boost' her immune system by feeding her a healthy, RAW diet. NO DRY DOG food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,