Puppy with Swollen Eyelids & Mucous Discharge

My Daschund and Feist mixed puppy has swollen eyelids and mucous discharge. She has been this way for 5 days. She is approximately three months old.

I'm not sure what home remedy to use. I spent several thousand on my Min-Pin who passed last year of kidney failure. So going to a vet is not an option.

Could it be allergies? We reside in a rural area pine trees all around the ranch.

Please advise.

Comments for Puppy with Swollen Eyelids & Mucous Discharge

My Online Vet Response for: Puppy with Swollen Eyelids & Mucous Discharge

October 11, 2014

For your Dachsund/Feist mix, I am very suspicious that he may have Demodectic mange in the skin around his eyes and eyelashes.

This is diagnosed with a skin scraping, which would require a visit to a veterinarian.

I have not seen allergies that would appear in a pup this young, and just affect the eyes. For other eye diseases, the problem is usually inside the eye, with a lot of redness and swelling of the conjunctiva, with mucous discharge, and very little hair loss around the eye.

See our page on Demodectic Mange, Which will give you a few tips on treatment. The most important thing to remember is that your puppy did not 'catch' this from another dog or human, it resulted in a poor immune system.

Usually, too many vaccinations at too young an age, not enough colostrum from the mother, being weaned too young or orphaned, are all contributing factors in weakening the immune system.

See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,, and consider a RAW diet for your dog.

In the meantime, you can use olive oil or sweet almond oil drops into his eyes, 2-3 drops 4 times daily, to keep them moistened and prevent the mucous buildup, while you are boosting his immune system, transitioning to a RAW diet, and getting an appointment for a skin scraping.