Puppy with Many Red Dots on Lower Stomach Between Hind Legs

by Eaton
(Massachusetts)

My 4 month old French Bulldog puppy has had a bunch of red (mix of lighter red and darker red) dots all over her lower stomach, slightly on her hind legs, around her private areas. She's has this since we brought her home at 8 weeks, and we showed the vet that said it might be early puppy vaginitis, and to give her some vitamin c and cranberries (which we have been for 3+ weeks).

It doesn't seem to be getting any better, but a little worse.

I read that this type of thing might be normal in female puppies that haven't been neutered yet, and that it would go away when they get neutered, but we just want to make sure.

We have been wiping that whole area daily either with shampoo/warm water or water with some tea tree oil in it. She's eaten a raw diet with meat and veggies (she doesn't eat grains) since we brought her home, and I give her coconut oil, fish oil, and apple cider vinegar daily.

Comments for Puppy with Many Red Dots on Lower Stomach Between Hind Legs

My Online Vet Response for: Puppy with Many Red Dots on Lower Stomach Between Hind Legs

January 10, 2014

Hi Eaton,

Your 4 month old French Bull Dog has superficial Puppy Pyoderma. She may also have some vaginitis, but the pimples and eruptions on her abdomen are caused by superficial Staph bacteria, not vaginitis. (A vaginal speculum can be used to examine her vaginal tract to diagnose vaginitis, but this exam can be VERY uncomfortable to a new puppy!) Puppy pyoderma is similar to 'diaper' rash in a human baby. Skin fold areas are more difficult to clear up.

Superficial Puppy Pyoderma can be triggered by anything affecting the immune system. Such as, weaning, vaccinations, surgery, poor hygiene, or poor diet. Since you brought her home at 8 weeks of age, this might have been a 'traumatic' event for her. Weaning a pup from its mother and littermates can be stressful. You did not mention if she was vaccinated at the same time, and/or if she has continued to receive booster vaccinations.

Her hygiene and diet sound excellent. Although, you might substitute hydrogen peroxide for the tea tree oil and clean her only three times per week. First, wipe her abdomen with some hydrogen peroxide. Rinse. Then, lather on baby shampoo. Rinse again. And dry her well, especially in the skin fold areas. Do this 3 times per week, not daily.

Continue her raw diet, with the coconut oil, fish oil, and apple cider vinegar. Consider adding the immune supplement, Mega C powder, also. http://belfield.com/product/mega-c-plus-8-oz-226-4-gm/ The amount to give is listed by weight on the label.

For emotional balancing, you can give her some Bach flowers. Rescue Remedy-10 drops, Walnut-5 drops, Honeysuckle-5 drops into a two oz dropper bottle filled with Spring Water.
Rescue Remedy is for anxiety
Walnut is to adjust to change
Honeysuckle is for homesickness

She can have 1/2 dropperful by mouth TWO times daily, or added to her water TWO times daily, for 3 weeks.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Puppy with Many Red Dots on Lower Stomach Between Hind Legs PART TWO

January 10, 2014

Hi Eaton,
Here is the rest of my response.

Thuya is a homeopathic remedy for 'vaccinosis'. If she has had vaccinations, give her Thuya 6C or 12C one pellet by mouth or dissolve one pellet in a 2 oz bottle of Spring Water TWO times daily for 3 weeks.

In my opinion, I would not spay her until her skin has cleared up.

Reply
by: Eaton

Thank you! We currently do give her fat soluble vitamin C and a multivitamin, would the Mega C be necessary? She does have some pretty big separation anxiety, she really does not like being left alone. I will try the Rescue Remedy for that. Also, for the Thuya, she had a Parvo vaccine and a Distemper vaccine and was given Thuya after only 1 of them. I can give her that too, how many pellets a day if I give her the pellet directly?

January 11, 2014

Hi Eaton,

"We currently do give her fat soluble vitamin C and a multivitamin" If it is in the form of *Ascorbyl Palmitate*, which is digested and broken apart into palmitate and ascorbic acid, I would NOT give this to your puppy. Ascorbic Acid is TOO acid for a dog's stomach. Dogs contain 10 times MORE hydrochloric acid in their stomach than humans. Ascorbic acid is TOO acid for your puppy.
Mega C, contains sodium ascorbate, (the buffered form of Vitamin C) although it is water soluble, it has been created for dogs and cats. Plus Mega C contains all of the other vitamins and minerals a dog or cat needs. http://belfield.com/product/mega-c-plus-8-oz-226-4-gm/

For Separation Anxiety, I refer to Dr. Ian Dunbar's recommendations. He is a veterinary animal behaviorist in Berkeley, California.
http://www.dogstardaily.com/taxonomy/term/123 His website contains other information that you might find useful in helping your new puppy adapt to her home!

For Thuya, if you give *Thuya 12C*, then she will need 1 dry pellet by mouth two times daily for 3 weeks. DO NOT touch the pellets with your fingers.

For *Thuya 30C*, Give her one pellet by mouth one time PER WEEK for 3 weeks.

My dog

I have a 3 year old, 7 pound Chihuahua that gets the same exact thing and her vet told me to give her a 1/2 of a benadrly that when she went outside that she was coming in contact with something that was breaking her out.

January 15, 2014

Benedryl is not a holistic nor 'natural' treatment. The longer a non-homeopathic drug is given that will suppress or only palliate the symptoms, the harder it will be to treat the patient toward a curative response,

Has the benedryl helped your dog? How often do you need to give it? You should also be aware of side effects due to chronic use of anti-histamines.

It would be healthier for your dog to go to a 'holistic' veterinarian. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the link below

Reply
by: Eaton

I don't think she's brushing up against anything outside, the grass is so short now and mostly frozen over. I am waiting for the new vitamin C and Thuya to arrive in the mail. I have been giving her the rescue formula and cleaning the area but so far no improvement.

Mega C Plus
by: Eaton

I ordered the Mega C Plus, and I notice in addition to vitamin C, there are a bunch of other vitamins and minerals she already gets in her multi-vitamin (i.e. Vitamin B, A, D, C, zinc, iron, copper, potassium, calcium, etc).

Will she be getting vitamin overdose if we give her this too?

January 17, 2014

Hi Eaton,

If you give her the Mega C plus, she would not need your other multi-vit/mineral supplement. And she would be getting TOO many vits and minerals if you give her both.

Just use your vitamin/mineral supplement until you get the Mega C, and then just follow the dosage on the label according to her weight to give her the appropriate amount.

Thuya
by: Eaton

The thuja came today, it's "thuja occidentalis" and it says 200 ck. How much of that should I give her?

January 18, 2014

Hi Eaton,

Perfect! Give her Thuya occidentalis 200 CK ONE pellet by mouth for ONE dose one time.

Do not touch the pellet with your fingers. Pour it out into the cap, and pull out her lip and put the pellet into her mouth. If she spits it out that is ok. As long as it has touched any of the mucous membranes in her mouth, then she has absorbed the remedy.

Since the remedy is adherent to the surface of the pellet, if it comes into contact with mucous membrane, then the remedy will be absorbed. The pellet itself does not need to be swallowed. If she does swallow it, that's ok too!