Puppy Phlegmy Cough

by Kaela
(North Dakota)

I had just bought a puppy from a pet store and she has had this phlegmy cough - kind of a wheezing cough. Something comes up when she does, but it's never enough to vomit so she just swallows it.

She is a Jack Russell Terrier / Coirn Terrier mix.

Is this serious or can it be cured at home?

Comments for Puppy Phlegmy Cough

My Online Vet Response for: Puppy Phlegmy Cough

September 15, 2014

Hi Kaela,

"Is this serious or can it be cured at home?"

Adoption from a pet store is fraught with many 'dangers'. The possibility of infectious kennel cough, possible distemper virus, either from contagion, or secondary from the vaccination given at too young an age, stress from overcrowding leading to pneumonia, etc.

Not to mention, the poor quality food being fed, and stress from being weaned from the mother too young!

I would advise that you take your new puppy to a holistic veterinarian ASAP for a thorough exam, instructions on proper diet, and nursing care, and keep your new puppy away from your other dogs, (if you have any), or friends' dogs, tell them NOT to come over.

Keep your new puppy in a small room such as a laundry room or bathroom. Use a vaporizer with eucalyptus oil (like Vick's Vap-o-Rub) for 1-2 hours TWO times daily, to help open his airway passages.

Make sure he is eating lots of cooked chicken, beef, or turkey, with steamed vegetables, such as carrots and green beans. Make it very soupy, as he will need a LOT of moisture in the diet. NO DRY PUPPY food.

The holistic veterinarian should also give him an injection of B-vitamins with B-12. And consider some homeopathic remedies for adverse reaction to vaccination, such as Thuya or Sulphur.