Puppy has cloudy eyes

by Connie
(Wellsboro, PA)

Our new puppy has cloudy eyes and we are worried about cataracts. Is it normal for new puppies to have cloudy blue-ish eyes? Will it clear up, and if so, at what age?

Thanks for your help,

Connie

Comments for Puppy has cloudy eyes

My Online Vet Response for Puppy has cloudy eyes

Hi Connie,
Yes, it is possible for a puppy to have congenital cataracts. It is difficult for me to see from the photos you submitted if that is the problem with your puppy. It IS normal for puppies to have undeveloped retinas before they are 6 months old. And in some breeds even the color of the eyes will change as they reach adulthood.

If this 'cloudiness' occurred after your puppy was vaccinated, I would definitely seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for further examination and treatment in a 'holistic' manner.

puppy's cloudy eyes
by: connie

the breeder took cooper to the vet today. he has blocked tear ducts and has a meibomian cyst on his left eye lid. will treat with antibiotic ointment and warm compresses. if it grows..will have to be surgically removed. the vet said the cloudy appearance will disappear after another week or so. thanks for your help though! connie

cloudy eyes on cooper
by: connie

cooper has not had any shots yet..he is still at the breeders. he is only 4 weeks old.

Hi Connie,
Thank you for the update. Once you have adopted him, it might be wise for you to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, to treat him holistically, to prevent any future health issues.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: locate a holistic veterinarian in your area

Re: Puppy has cloudy eyes
by: Crystal

Connie,

How old was your puppy in the pictures? I just bought a little puppy and he turned 6 weeks yesterday. I noticed he has a bluish cloudy haze on his eyes. He doesn't blink when you put your hand near his eye. However, there are times he acts like he can see and there are times where he acts like he can't see anything. I did notice that his pupils did react when he was in bright sun light and when he was indoors. Did your puppies eyes ever get better. My puppy also has this clear discharge from his eyes. Also I have two other small breed dogs and they walk right by him or over him and he acts like he never saw them. If you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I am so worried that my puppy might be blind. My other two dogs had the same thing, but they acted like they could see me when I called them; where he acts like he cant see me unless I'm right in front of him.

My Online Vet Response for: Puppy has cloudy eyes

Hi Crystal,

Connie's puppy was 4 weeks old in the photos. At that age, it is not unusual for the eye to have a cloudy or bluish cast as the retina is not fully developed until 6 months of age.

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

After 2-3 weeks if the puppy is still not visual, I advise calling a veterinary ophthalmologist for an exam.

my friends puppy has a cloudy eye

My friends puppy has a cloudy eye its only in 1 eye it started with just a little amd u could only see it in certain light,iv just seen the puppy again today and it covers all the puppys eye there is also a clear discharge coming from the infected eye any advice would be welcome as my friend aint got much money for a vet and has to wait 18 days till his pay check comes before he can take it to the vets the puppy has had its first injection by the way and is awaiting its second 1 he said

October 10, 2014

It would be best for you to loan your friend some money to take the puppy to a veterinarian. I am unable to make a diagnosis or give advice without any photos.

Also, I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).