Puppy born blind in one eye

by Maryann
(Buffalo, NY)

A breeder is offering me a havanese puppy that was born blind in one eye (the eye is also smaller). She usually sells them for $1200 and will sell him for $500.

The eye needs no treatment. Is they eye issue something to worry about? Do you know what causes this?

Thanks

Comments for Puppy born blind in one eye

My Online Vet Response for: Puppy born blind in one eye

Hi Maryann,
It is difficult to say what can cause a congenital defect, meaning that it is present at birth.

If it is genetic, or an inherited condition, you would NOT want to breed this puppy and risk the chance of more puppies having the same condition.

It may be something that happened while the puppy was forming in the uterus, for example if the mother dog was exposed to some toxin or vaccinated while pregnant.

Or it just may be a condition that occurred at random. A veterinary ophthalmologist might be able to give you more information on Havanese dogs and how susceptible they are to birth defects causing blindness and deformity of one eye.