Possible dog wart?

by Erin Cohrs
(Illinois)

Wart on eyelid?

Wart on eyelid?

My dog has developed a bump on his eyelid just a couple weeks ago that at first was a pink/flesh color and has overnight turned a grey/black color. I was reading the description for warts on your page and I'm not sure that I would describe it as mushroom shaped, more like an oval pimple, but not quite as raised. He is a miniature dachshund who is going to be 12 this August.

I started giving him Newton Homeopathic Thuja pellets (30 C) a week ago. I started giving him 3 a day but in the past 3 days I have been giving him 4-6 pellets.

I hide them in Greenies Pill Pockets. I have noticed that the bump seems to have gone down in size since starting the Thuja, but it did change color overnight which worries me.

He doesn't seem at all bothered by it, he doesn't scratch at it or rub it. It doesn't seem as much as a raised shape anymore, more like a small swollen spot on his eyelid.

His name is Ludwig, he doesn't currently take any medications for anything, he lives with another miniature dachshund, a rabbit, a parakeet, and guinea pig. He eats Purina Senior Formula. He rarely gets table scraps.

I have him on ProPet Senior vitamins and he has hip and joint snacks every day in addition to teeth cleaning biscuits.

I have not noticed any change in eating or activity. He's not an overly active dog, but when he is in the backyard he likes to run a bit and he likes to explore and smell around. He goes on walks about once a week and I'm trying to increase his activity gradually as the weather gets warmer.

Thank you for your help!

Comments for Possible dog wart?

My Online Vet Response for Possible Dog Wart?

Hi Erin,
It does not look like a wart on Ludwig's upper right eyelid. It looks more like a benign meibomian gland cyst or possibly a 'stye' or an ingrown eyelash/dystichia. Since it's only been present for 2 weeks or so, it may be a bit premature in starting homeopathic treatment, especially with so few symptoms.

Regarding homeopathic treatment, a 30c potency is usually only given one time. Then wait 1-2 weeks to observe the body's 'reaction' or response. This protocol is used for 'chronic' illness. In acute situations, a remedy of higher potency 200c or even 1M, may need to be repeated every 1-2 hours for several doses, until a response is achieved.

Placing the remedy in a "Pill pocket" is not recommended for homeopathic remedies, as food stuff(s) may interfere with the action of the remedy. Homeopathic remedies are usually given by dry pellet, under the tongue in a human, or placed in the side 'pouch' of a dog's mouth by pulling out the side of the mouth. Or, a remedy may be dissolved in Spring Water or filtered water, and given with an eyedropper.

For more information on Homeopathy, an excellent reference is Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. At this time, since you have noticed a change in the growth, I would stop the remedy and wait for other symptoms to appear.

Improving Ludwig's diet and making a gradual transition to more canned or a raw dog food diet would be healthier. Carrots, green beans, zucchini, apple slices or pieces of cantaloupe and fruit are all beneficial and are ok to add to the main diet.

Avoid artificial colors, preservatives, or other unnatural ingredients to make the diet much healthier. The same applies to the Senior Pet ProPet Senior, the vit Hip and Joint snacks and the teeth cleaning biscuits.

All in all, it would be best to seek help from a local holistic veterinarian.

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us by clicking the like button at the top of the left margin. Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The above should never replace the advice of your local vet, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person.

- Dog Warts