Possible conjunctivitis

by Sara
(Atlanta, GA)

My dog has some gunk coming out of both eyes. What can I do at home that will be cheaper then taking him to the vet if it is conjunctivitis?

It's not bothering him (he isn't scratching it) but a good amount of the gunk is coming out of both eyes. His eyes appear to be slightly red as well. The gunk appears to be white in color.

Hes a Puggle, age 7.

Comments for Possible conjunctivitis

My Online Vet Response for: Possible Conjunctivitis

Hi Sara,

Yes, you can take care of this problem at home. The condition your 7 year old Puggle has is due to inflammation of the third eyelid.

The third eyelid (called the nictitating membrane or nictitans) is composed of a large gland located on the inner side which produces some tears and secretive proteins to protect the cornea. If this is inflamed or irritated, such as from dust, pollen, sticking the head out the car window and letting the wind blow into the eyes, smoke, etc. then small pimples or blister-like follicles will form. (These are only visible on the *inner* aspect of the third eyelid.)

These pimples or follicles will 'pop' and the resultant discharge will be the white mucous, (or gunk), that you see.

Treatment is to flush the eyes with saline three times daily for 5-7 days. (Homemade saline--add 1/4 tsp Sea Salt to 1 cup Spring Water, mix well. Or just use spring water.)

This will remove debris and mucous and allow the tissue to heal. Conventional medicine would involve an ointment with antibiotics and cortisone.

Alternatively, you can instill 1-2 drops of olive oil into each eye after you have flushed them. ALSO, give the homeopathic remedy Pulsatilla 6C or 12C two times daily for one week, to hasten healing.

You can give homeopathic remedies by dry pellet, (but DO NOT touch the pellet with your fingers), one pellet into his mouth two times daily OR dissolve one pellet into a 2 oz glass dropper bottle and fill with spring water. Give 1/2 dropperful by mouth TWO times daily for 5-7 days.

- Dog Symptom Checker - Photo, Question & Answer Library for Thousands of Dog Symptoms

Care for Possible conjunctivitis
by: dog breeds

This is really painful news if your dog is suffering from conjunctivitis. One needs to closely examine their dog and check the possible remedies they can give to their dog. Clean his eyes with fresh water and don't let flies to sit over his eyes.

My Online Vet Response for: Possible conjunctivitis

September 1, 2014

Dear Dog Breeds,
The previous post from Sara regarding her Puggle was from last year. We have not had a reply back, so I do not know if her dog has improved, or if she took him to a veterinary ophthalmologist as my disclaimer always advises.

Thank you for your tips and concern.