Popsicle-shaped growth on dog's head

by Jacqueline
(Budd Lake, NJ , USA)

My nine year old beagle began developing this growth about a year and a half ago. It started off small and was smooth. It was shaped like a Popsicle and was flexible if you touched it.

Now, it has gotten considerably larger and has become lumpy and a deeper shade of pink. It is now about the size of a dime. It doesn't seem to bother her, but I am concerned that it may be cancerous because of the rate at which it is growing. When you touch or wash the area she does not show any signs of pain.

She has had skin conditions in the past. She was covered with crusty scaling about two years ago which the vet diagnosed as a grass allergy. Since we have changed her play area and kept her off grass as much as possible, the skin condition has disappeared.

She is in very good health otherwise and is up to date on all of her shots.

I'm worried about taking her to the groomer because I fear they will clip her growth and cause it to bleed, but she is due for a bath and trim.

Please let me know what you think this could be. I know older dogs tend to develop growths. I just want to make sure that my pup isn't in danger of being sick.

Thank you.

Comments for Popsicle-shaped growth on dog's head

My Online Vet Response for: Popsicle-shaped growth on dog's head

Hi Jacqueline,
Thank you for posting the photo. It appears that the growth on your dog's head is a wart. These warts are benign, and are usually slow growing (taking several years to increase in size, compared to a malignant growth which would change appearance over several weeks to months).

If you were to follow the conventional route and have it surgically removed, chances are high that more warts will start to appear. If you wish to follow a more holistic path, it will take a bit longer to have this growth shrink.

Here's the plan:

1. Stop all vaccinations. Vaccinations seem to create what is called 'vaccinosis' in the body and cause warts, tumors, etc to appear. If a rabies vaccination is due, you can contact a holistic veterinarian for an exemption.

2. Improve diet. NO DRY DOG FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and consider a raw diet for your dog.

3. Topical Thuya ointment - Apply to the wart one time daily for 3-6 weeks.

4. If the wart is shrinking but not going away completely, you may need to give her some immune system support such as the following: