Pinkish bump on my dog’s cheek

by Jeniffer
(Tucson, AZ)

My two year old dog, Hyde (Mastiff / Pit mix) got this bump on his cheek about a week ago. I can’t tell if it is getting bigger.... maybe just a little bit.

I noticed it the day after he got into the trash and so I thought maybe he had scratched himself on the tin can of beans he was chewing on. There is no puncture wound or scab anywhere. No open area or entry point for infection that I can tell.

I’ve been cleaning it with warm salt water and putting some Bactroban cream on it, doing my best to keep him from licking it off. Today I held the warm wash cloth on it with some pressure and noticed some pores opening and a little tiny bit of blood coming through. No puss.

It doesn’t seem to bother him, but he is generally easy going so it is hard to tell.

Comments for Pinkish bump on my dog’s cheek

My Online Vet Response for Pinkish Bump on my Dog's cheek

Hi Jeniffer,
From the photos you submitted of Hyde's face, your 2 year old male Mastiff Mix, I am suspicious that the bump may be a granuloma, commonly called 'Proud flesh'. It will usually arise in the area of a wound that is slow to heal.

Other causes may be due to an ingrown hair or whisker that has developed into a cyst.

Keeping the area clean as you are doing is important. Perhaps using hydrogen peroxide may be more effective than the saline/salt water. To specifically treat it, I would suggest the homeopathic remedy Silicea. This is given orally.

It would be best to contact a holistic veterinarian in your area to guide you, and perhaps do some diagnostic tests. This might be an impression smear on a microscope slide to make sure it is not a more serious, cancerous type of growth. If a homeopathic remedy is used, then the veterinarian would need to determine the potency, and how often to repeat the remedy depending on Hyde's response. Although, in some cases, your holistic veterinarian may wish to use a remedy that fits Hyde's entire 'constitional' make-up. This will be determined when an exam is done. See our page on Homeopathic Treatments for more information.

It is also extremely important to feed a healthy diet - see our page on the healthiest pre-packaged dog food diets for your dog.

And I would be VERY cautious regarding any future vaccinations for Hyde. A Holistic veterinarian would be able to write an exemption form for rabies, if needed.

Click here to locate a local holistic vet..