Pink Color on Front Legs of Lab

by Dianne
(New Orleans)

My 18 month old yellow Lab has pink-tinged skin on his front feet and lower legs (none on back legs). There is no hair loss at all. The color is of the kind you see from saliva staining on white dogs around their mouths.

He was adopted from a shelter at 10 months, had a history of demodectic mange and was treated by previous owners. He had no mange when I adopted him. He is heartworm negative x3.

Any suggestions to clear this up?

Comments for Pink Color on Front Legs of Lab

My Online Vet Response for Pink color on Front legs of Lab

Hi Dianne,
Pink discoloration is from saliva staining the hair on light colored breeds. You did not mention if your dog was licking his front legs. Licking of the front legs, and the tops of the front feet is due to inhaled allergies. This type of allergy also causes itching or rubbing the sides of their mouth, eyes and ears.

Since he has a past history of Demodectic Mange, it indicates that he has a poor immune system. At his young age, this may have flared up after vaccinations and/or being neutered, emotional stress from changing to a new home, and a change of food.

Improving his health will also help him become less susceptible to allergies, whether from inhaled allergens, flea allergy, food allergy, etc. The first step is to start him on a fresh, wholesome dog food diet. Start with a gradual change and gradually eliminate all dry food from his diet.

Skin problems are best treated with a high-moisture diet, such as canned or raw food. Also, the addition of Omega 3 fish oil for dogs to his diet would be beneficial, about 1,000 mg for a 50-60 lb dog per day. Fish oils will help decrease the inflammation of the skin.

Bathing him once per week will keep his skin and hair clean, removing pollen/dust, etc. Use a mild oatmeal shampoo. In between the bathing, you can spray topical Rescue Remedy (diluted 10 drops to 4 oz of Spring Water) and/or Aloe Vera juice in a pump spray bottle to spray on his legs. (The kind that you drink, and is refrigerated after opening. Therefore, it will be cool when you spray it on his skin, and will help to cool off his skin and hopefully make it itch less!)

And most importantly, seek a local holistic veterinarian to help with treating the 'underlying' disease, his suppressed and weakened immune system. That is the main reason he succumbed to Mange, and why he has a skin problem now.

DISCLAIMER: The above should never replace the advice of your local veterinarian.