Pink Bump On Dog's Right Cheekbone Below Lower Eyelid

by Mike
(Los Angeles, CA)

Taken 1/21/13

Taken 1/21/13

Taken 1/21/13
Taken 1/16/13

On January 1st, 2013 my dog Steve had a play date with a very small terrier and the two of them played for several hours, chasing each other and wrestling with their paws, etc. Later that night, I noticed what looked like a speck of dirt below his right eye. I scratched it off only to find that it was a very small scab, which then bled a very small amount.

A couple days later I noticed a pink bump forming in the same spot. Now, 3 weeks later, the bump has grown to the size of a very small pea, maybe 2-3 millimeters in diameter.

He does not seem to be scratching it, nor does it seem to bother him at all when I touch it. In general, he doesn't seem to even know it's there.

Steve is a 2 and a half year old Chihuahua/Italian Greyhound mix. He is 8 lbs, very energetic and extremely playful and happy.

He received his Distemper and Bordatella vaccines on November 20th, 2012. In general, his behavior is 100% normal since the formation of this bump.

His diet consists primarily of Nutrisca Lamb and Chick Pea dry food, which he has been eating for the past year. In early January I began supplementing his meals with unseasoned freshly cooked ground turkey meat. Additionally, he regularly eats raw carrots. His daily treats have been consistent since his adoption, 2 years ago.

Three days ago I took him to the vet and the vet immediately said the bump "was just a wart and may go away in a month or two." He also said it was possible that it was a hystiocytoma, which may need to be removed, particularly if Steve scratched it, thereby presenting a risk to his eyes.

He suggested that I return in 2 weeks or so to have Steve's teeth cleaned and that if the bump had not gone away or had grown, it should potentially be removed. Based on the attached picture, taken today, I'd like your opinion about the best course of action.

Comments for Pink Bump On Dog's Right Cheekbone Below Lower Eyelid

My Online Vet Response for: Pink Bump on Dog's Right Cheekbone Below Lower Eyelid

Hi Mike,
From the photos you sent, this growth looks like a wart. Although, at 2 1/2 years of age, Steve is also in the age range where histiocytomas can occur.

I disagree with your veterinarian on surgical removal. I advise treating Steve with the homeopathic remedy, Thuya (200c potency, this is a prescription level, and will require a holistic veterinarian to prescribe). Thuya is a great remedy for treating a syndrome called 'vaccinosis' - condition where a vaccine will make an individual more susceptible to developing a wart or tumor.

Steve received Distemper and Bordatella vaccinations at the end of November 2012, and one month later, January 1, 2013, you noticed the growth just developing. By treating Steve with a homeopathic remedy to remove this growth, he will be much healthier than by removing it surgically.

After this, I would caution against giving him any more vaccinations. He may need only a Rabies vaccination, in the future, but I suggest working with a holistic veterinarian, and consider obtaining an exemption form in lieu of a vaccination.

At this time, it sounds like you are trying to improve his diet. This is the best way to improve his health. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options for suggestions.

Consider a gradual transition away from DRY DOG Food and feeding more canned and/or a RAW diet.

For his teeth, I suggest feeding him a tartar control treat after each meal two times daily. After 3-6 weeks, hopefully, his teeth will be clean enough that he will not require a general anesthesia teeth cleaning.
For other types of treats, you can give him raw carrots, slices of apple or cantaloupe.

Update
by: Original Author

Just to follow up on this thread, the bump under Steve's eye continued to grow and eventually it was not only quite unsightly but he began scratching it. None of the above remedies had any degree of efficacy so I ultimately had the growth surgically removed and biopsied. A month later, another growth virtually identical to the first but on his upper chest began to appear. I opted to have that one removed as well. Steve is happy and healthy again.

While I'm sure there are cases where the homeopathic remedies discussed are effective, unfortunately they were not for my little guy.

MY Online Vet Response for: Pink Bump on Dog's Right Cheekbone Below Lower Eyelid

June 18, 2013

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the update on Steve's wart. While you are correct that homeopathic remedies may not work for everyone, if you only used the one remedy I suggested, (Thuya), and did not see a response, this would be the time to send in an update, and/or contact a local holistic veterinarian.

Either Steve may have needed an increase in potency or switch to a different remedy. There are actually 77 remedies listed in one repertory, *Synthesis* by Dr. Frederick Schroyens, for WART.

My response on the internet is only a 'generic' guide to point people in the right direction. In fact, with only a photo of Steve's wart and not his WHOLE body, I cannot even give you a 'holistic' response.

Homeopathic remedies are chosen based on the symptoms of the entire patient. My ability is severely limited to prescribe accurately online. I understand you felt that surgery was the only option available. But I feel you may be selling homeopathy short. The need to follow up in a timely manner, and/or seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, should have been the next step.