Pimple-Type Bumps in Dog's Eye

by Elaine
(Windsor, Canada)

My dog started with this 'pimple' type bump in his eye. He rubbed it and some oozy stuff came out but now there are three little bumpy pimples.

We have tried antibiotic eye cream (made for humans) but it doesn't seem to help. He seems to be very sensitive to it.

He is a 11 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Comments for Pimple-Type Bumps in Dog's Eye

My Online Vet Response for Pimple-Type Bumps in Dog's Eye

Hi Elaine,

From the photo you submitted of your dog, it appears to be a problem with the third eyelid. It may be a growth or canine tumor, it may be a prolapse of the gland of the third eyelid. It is difficult to determine from the photo.

A holistic vet would be able to evaluate your dog's eye by placing some anesthetic drops into his eye for a thorough exam. Then, the holistic vet can suggest a treatment plan that will be less invasive than a conventional veterinarian. See our page on Alternative Medicine for Dogs for more.

If the eye discharge seems to be bothering him, I would suggest frequent cleaning with saline with which you can rinse his eye 3 to 4 times daily. After cleaning the eye with saline, you can also put 3-4 drops of olive oil into his eye, which will lubricate the cornea and provide some relief.

In some cases a recent dog vaccination may be the cause of the appearance of warts or growths. In addition, vaccinations that have been done in the past can cause a problem called 'vaccinosis'. This can be treated with homeopathic remedies.

At 11 years of age, I would NOT suggest any vaccinations for your dog. A holistic vet will be able to write an exemption form to 'excuse' him from getting a dog Rabies vaccination (if he is due for a Rabies). It is more important that he be treated for this eye problem than it is for him to get a Rabies booster!

Good nutrition is essential for proper health and enabling your dog to heal. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options for more info about proper diet.

And you can click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area.

What was the resolution?

What was the issue, I believe my dog has the same problem.

My Online Vet Response for: Pimple-Type Bumps in Dog's Eye

September 21, 2013

Elaine, from Windsor Canada, has not responded to my suggestions. My advice was to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for a more specific diagnosis. Also, avoid vaccinations, feed a healthy diet, (NO DRY DOG FOOD), and keep the eye comfortable with saline rinse, and olive oil or sweet almond oil for moisture/lubrication.

3rd eyelid problems
by: Candy's Mom

My almost 14 yr old Lab has a protruding red 3rd eyelid. Never acts like it is painful. she's had this for some time. never goes away. Doesn't seem to be getting worse, but never gets better. Took her to our regular vet who gave me some antibiotic/steroid ointment. The redness is less but can't say the swelling is less. They will be calling me soon to find out if it is better. They want to anesthetize her to flip her eyelid if the ointment is no better. Not sure whether I should let them do this or just go to a holistic vet.
At her age, I really don't want any surgery and I'm not particular happy about having to anesthetize her either. she's a big girl & coming out of anesthesia takes quite a hit on her, and me :( What would you suggest?

October 29, 2013

Dear Candy's Mom,

If Candy is 14 years old, I agree with your assessment that surgery is out of the question.

I do appreciate your question, and I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

Administrator Note:

Candy's question and Dr. Tillman's response was posted here: www.organic-pet-digest.com/protruding-red-3rd-eyelid.html