Pet dog has cloudy eye

by Ben Martinez
(Chicago, IL)

I have a three year old terrier/chihuahua mix in good health, but he developed a cloudy left eye about a month ago (see pic).

Is this something that will affect his vision permanently? Should we be worried?

Thanks.

Comments for Pet dog has cloudy eye

My Online Vet Response for Pet Dog has cloudy eye

Hi Ben,
Your 3 yr old Terrier mix Chihuahua appears to have developed a mature cataract in his left eye. Yes, this will impair his vision permanently.

For a young dog to develop a cataract, it can be from an inherited or genetic trait. It does not look like the right eye is affected, but I would advise seeking a veterinary ophthalmologist for an eye exam. This will determine if the pressure in the left eye is ok, since eyes with cataracts are more susceptible to glaucoma. And the right eye can also be checked to see if there is any new cataract forming.

The veterinary ophthalmologist may suggest cataract surgery, which would restore his vision and would prevent glaucoma. Glaucoma is a very serious condition, that would severely damage the tissues of the eye and cause him to lose his eye.

Poor Puppy

It could be an ulcer in the eye too. Which is treatable. My dog has had 3. We have only treated one and the other times it healed quite well alone and he did not lose vision from what we can tell.

?
by: Linda

Hi, I think my geriatric greyhound has this. Is there any other treatment for this besides surgery? Like drops? I really do not want to have my dog go through an operation as she is 13. Thanks.

My Online Vet Response For: Pet Dog has Cloudy Eye

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).