Persistent Red Rash on Inside of Dog's Legs - Superficial Skin Fold Dermatitis

by Lilain
(Turlock, CA)

Border Terrier Rash

Border Terrier Rash

My three year old (approx.) Border Terrier has a persistent red rash on the inside of both legs. The rash is about five inches long on the inside of both legs (where the legs meet the body).

He does not naturally have hair in this area so it is easy to see. It has been present for about a month and a half.

It tends to vary in degree of redness--sometimes it appears to be light pink, and other times it is a darker or bright pink (usually appearing worst at night when he licks at it the most). I have noticed little raised spots (goosebumps size) in the rash after he has licked it (the rash as a whole is not raised like a human hive).

Also, the rash itself may appear blotchy. A while back, I took him to the vet regarding his skin--he had small red patches on some areas of his body. The vet informed me that it was skin irritation and it was typical of his breed--he tends to scratch a bit or be itchy.

My vet prescribed Benadryl for his other skin irritations, so I have given this medication in hopes that this inner leg rash would get better, but it does not seem to help. He does not spend much time outdoors (just for walks and to go to the bathroom). He doesn't scratch at the rash...he can't reach. He only licks at it--but he doesn't lick at it constantly, just on occasion. He also tends to get ear infections. His behavior has been normal.

Comments for Persistent Red Rash on Inside of Dog's Legs - Superficial Skin Fold Dermatitis

Online Response for Red Rash on Inside of Dog's Legs

Hi Lilane,
From the photo that you sent, it looks like your dog may have a superficial skin fold dermatitis, usually caused by bacteria in the skin. I think that the cause of the rash becoming darker at times, is because of 'trauma' to the skin whenever your dog is licking that area. But I am also concerned that he may have some ruptured capillaries, bruises called 'petechiae'. This may indicate a more serious disease, such as Autoimmune Hemolytic anemia, or thrombocytopenia, (having a low platelet count).

You also mentioned that there were some small red patches on other areas of his skin. If these were also in skin fold areas (armpits, under chin, behind ears, etc) it may be due to the same type of bacterial infection. And having problems with ear infections, indicates that he has some chronic issues. These may be due to a poor immune system, too many vaccinations, poor diet, or food allergy (Benadryl does not help a food allergy).

I would suggest finding a holistic veterinarian near you by checking our Dog Vet Care page. He or she will make a more thorough exam, and may suggest a blood panel, stool sample, and urinalysis. These tests can diagnose an autoimmune condition, or low platelet count. A holistic veterinarian will then be able to advise you on the best diet, immune supplements, and bathing that would be useful in helping your dog.

A homeopathic work-up would also lead to the most appropriate homeopathic remedy, to return your dog to good health. Treating with an anti-histamine like Benadryl is not really going to help in the long run.

Bella has the same thing
by: Chantal

Its crazy to me that my own VET couldn't put a name to this problem. It has been 2 years now since her initial outbreak which I believe was caused by Zodiac flea treatment.

Since then she has had red soars whenever she eats chicken, turkey, beef or pork. Salmon and lamb are the only 2 proteins she can eat without getting an outburst. Now she has black marks where the red marks were, it has never gotten better.

I have asked 3 vets about it, and none of them have given me a name for it. Leave it to the internet! There is an article I found online that said "Recovery" is a good treatment.

I would do more research before I try it on my dog, but am definitely looking for a cure.

Rashes

My 2 year old Boxer gets that rash on the inside of his legs after walks. I have figured it out to be friction and dirt to cause this. I have been keeping areas cleaned before walks and it is gone. Good luck with your lil one

Skin Rash

Our Rhodesian Ridgeback gets frequent skin rashes. We have been using Goji juice as an effective treatment every time they tend to flare up. It is an immune booster and we add it to some plain yogourt because he is not fond of the taste. We started him on natural peanut butter and Goji sandwiches and I think he has now aquired the taste. We had read about this in a natural pet health magazine and decided to give it a try after vet creams and treatment was inaffective. It has worked well on our dog.

Rash question
by: concerned gpa

We have a Pit bull that is having this same rash trouble. He has had life long skin issues but the rash seems to be just starting.
We will go back to the salmon and lamb diet but what can we do now for the rash?
Budget seems to be the issue for everyone so what home remedies can be used to help the rash?

Home Remedy to the red rash
by: Animal Rescuer

My boyfriend and I just rescued a blue nose pit bull and she get's a really raw rash between her back leg's also. I have found that using a spray bottle with cool water, misting the sore area and then adding Johnson's Pure Cornstarch Baby Powder to work really well. You do need to make sure your pet doesn't like it off as the longer it stay's on the better. I hope the way I help my Pity will help your poochies too :)

I use....

I use Zincofax for diaper rash on my two poodles and it works really well to clear up the rash. You have to apply generously and often.

My Online Vet Response for: Persistent Red Rash on Inside of Dog's Legs-Superficial skin fold Dermatitis

I would NOT recommend Zincofax ointment for use in dogs. A dog has the ability to lick off the ointment and will be poisoned by the Zinc. (I have treated numerous cases of Zinc toxicosis in dogs that have swallowed pennies. Composition of a penny from 1982 to the present: copper-plated zinc
97.5% Zinc, 2.5% Copper.)

Submit your question with a photo, and I will be happy to help. We only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

Coconut oil
by: Jackie_

I have two red nose pits. They play a lot outside and love to chase each other. I noticed they both have had the same issue recently. Not sure if its due to a plant outside or an allergy but I have found that extra virgin coconut oil worka wonders!!!!!

I take a warm wet wash cloth and I pat down the red irritated area and clean it as much as I can. I them take a small amount of the coconut oil and run it on the affected area! It works fast and it's easy. I immediately see a difference in the dogs after this. They seem happier and they love sniffing the coconut oil. It doesn't taste like anything so they don't care to luck it off which is wonderful! I definitely suggest you all to try this. Hope it helps!

My Online Vet Response for: Persisten Red Rash on Inside of Dog's Legs-Superficial Skin Fold Dermatitis

Hi Jackie,
Thanks for your suggestion of the coconut oil It is the same thing I have recommended in previous postings.

Aloe Vera
by: Izzy

I used aloe veraon my dog that I bought from the health food store (don't use the jelly directly from the plant because it may make it worse) and it did the trick. No more itching and he didn't even lick at the area. This was only his first application. We' ll see how it looks tomorrow. But so far so good :)

Rash

i just tried what a user on here said, i just grabbed a damp cloth and some baby powder for my purebred germen terrior, and it looks like the rash is getting better, i just have to be on her for licking it
hope this helps other!

My Online Vet Response for: Persistent Red Rash on Inside of Dog's Legs-Superficial Skin Fold Dermatitia

September 26,2013

Since there are a variety of postings after the original question, I cannot vouch for how well baby powder would work. I am glad that it seems to be helping, so far.

If you would like more specific suggestions or a treatment plan for your dog, I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).
Please click here to sign up and submit your question and photos.

I'll then get back to you right away at the bottom of your newly created web page.

red/pink skin and rash

My one year old pit has the same thing and it's on the areas with white hair neck jawles and nose, has any one had Ot there besides on the leg area?

My Online Vet Response for: Persistent Red Rash on Inside of Dog's Legs-superficial Skin Fold Dermatitis

June 18, 2014

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

Dog rash NEW

My chocolate lab has a terrible rash on all four legs!!!! Some of it is white hard patches!! I have been told he is allergic to something; he licks and chews it constant!!! He has been on prednisone for years and now it's worse after what appeared yo be mosquitoes bugging him outside!!! They r telling me I may have to consider putting him down as the prednisone is hurting his pancreas!! What could help ? I need to get him off prednisone!!!!!

My Online Vet Response for: Persistent Red Rash on Inside of Dog's Legs-Superficial Skin Fold Dermatitis NEW

September 1, 2014