Patchy Dog Hair Loss on the Anterior Neck

by Frank Troha
(Marco Island, FL, USA)

hair loss on the neck

hair loss on the neck

What is causing the patchy dog hair on my dog's neck? This has been going on for several months and is slightly worse.

The Vet there put her on a topical steroid and antibiotic spray which I have used for 3 weeks now with no improvement. She does not scratch there either.

She is a 1.5 yr old Blue Great Dane,lives in Florida, weighs 105 lbs. and eats Fromms adult dog food.

Comments for Patchy Dog Hair Loss on the Anterior Neck

My Online Vet Response for Patchy Dog Hair Loss on the anterior (ventral) neck

Hi Frank,
Great photo of the area in question. There are a number of different causes for the type of hair loss you are seeing.

In a 1.5 year old 'Blue' Great Dane with hair loss and no itching, I would want to rule out infection from ringworm, or mites, such as Demodex. See our page on Dog Skin Conditions for more details on diagnosis of these.

Also, I would like to rule out nutritional deficiency. The Fromm Adult Dog Diet looks fabulous and includes fatty acids plus probiotics and all of the vitamins and minerals a dog would need.

But your dog is a 'Blue' Great Dane. Genetically, the blue color is prone to having more skin ailments than the other Danes that are black or Harlequin in color. Due to his large size, it would be prohibitive to put him on an all raw diet, but perhaps you could add some raw meat (No raw pork or raw fish), or perhaps 2-3 heaping Tbsps of raw chicken, turkey or beef to each meal daily.

Check our Raw Natural Dog Food Diet page to get some ideas regarding a raw diet.

Lastly, I would be concerned if the hair loss started after receiving a vaccination of some kind. Vaccinosis in dogs (and humans also) is a condition that can lead to chronic illness but can be treated with homeopathy. You should seek out the help of a holistic veterinarian for help in this matter. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Hair Loss Section,

Same problem!!!

Did you ever figure out what was causing this hair loss? My dog has the exact same skin issue as your dog and looks identical to the picture.