Part 2: Dog Leg Trauma, Lung Tumor & Enlarged Spleen

by Gina Frias
(Guaynabo, PR)

I had written before for my 12 year dog whom had suffered an accident here is the link:

Dog Leg Trauma, Lung Tumor & Enlarged Spleen - Part 1

I just wanted to show you the new results of her blood test and CT scan. I will like to know what you recommend.

Thanks, Gina

Comments for Part 2: Dog Leg Trauma, Lung Tumor & Enlarged Spleen

My Online Vet Response for: Part 2: Dog Leg Trauma, Lung Tumor & Enlarged Spleen

February 23, 2014

Hi Gina,

Thank you for the update!

If Nana is not showing any respiratory difficulties, I would not tap her chest to obtain fluid for analysis. And definitely not any surgery to remove a lung lobe.

The abdominal CT said there were no abnormalities, so her spleen is back to normal?

I suggest giving her time to heal from her wounds, and then re-x-ray her chest to see if the fluid/pleural effusion has remained the same, decreased or increased.

Nana
by: Gina

By the time I sent this email the thoracocentesis was already done on Nana. I was told that they took out 200 ml of clear fluid from the lung. The results to determine if it is a malignant pleural effusion will probably come next week. They also took a sample from the tumor, so we should know if we are talking about cancer by next week too. She is ok now, I think that she is more active than last week when the pleural effusion was there. I am still restraining her from any running, she is just going out two times a day with me. She stills sometimes tries to run. I understand that by her labs and her clinical manifestations she is behaving as if everything is completely normal. Still I am scared that some manifestations can start to appear suddenly and then we are too late for any treatment. If there are malignant cells in the pleural effusion or if the tumor is malignant, do you still recommend no surgery? I understand that every surgery carries its risks but she is well now and I would think she would be able to tolerate the procedure. I would not like to do nothing and then be sorry for my decision.
Additionally, the CT demostrates no abnormalities in the abdominal and pelvic area, they don't talk about the spleen, the radiologist says that everything is normal, so I suppose that the spleen is ok now or it was always ok. I understand that the spleen is a difficult organ to see in an XRay, so that could be the problem, or now is back to normal.

She is in no meds right now, she just finished her antibiotics three days ago.

I am a little confused on what to do next, I just want her to be ok.

February 24, 2014

Hi Gina,
You said that they drained 200 ml of clear fluid from Nana's chest. Clear fluid is more commonly seen when there is heart disease. Or problems with an obstruction of drainage from the lymph nodes. Cancer would not be high on my list of differentials.

"If there are malignant cells in the pleural effusion or if the tumor is malignant, do you still recommend no surgery? I understand that every surgery carries its risks but she is well now and I would think she would be able to tolerate the procedure. I would not like to do nothing and then be sorry for my decision."

If she were my dog, I would avoid surgery and do it only as a last resort. If she has a strong vital force, then she should respond to homeopathic remedies, and other supplements to support her immune system.

When the lab results come back, hopefully it is not malignant, and there are some other options to consider.