Pancreatitis Dog

by Barbara
(New Jersey)

Three weeks ago, my dog got diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. Since than we have her on a very low fat diet (Butternut Squash, Fish/Cod, Sweet Potatoes, Celery, Rice, Zucchini).

We feed her very little but more meals a day.

She is losing weight. She gets vitamin B12 shots once a week.

I noticed that she trows up a little every time, the day after she got the vitamin B12 shot.

Her chronic pancreatitis does not show many symptoms. That is why I am not sure about her healing.

She shows no diarrhea, no lethargy, no appetite lost. She occasionally acts nervous and occasionally trows up. She does not show clear symptoms of pain.

She is 13 years old, a mix, weights about 17 pounds. We spayed her three years ago.

Prior to 3 weeks ago - for about 10 years - she has been on a home cooked, mainly vegetarian diet (sometimes we add fish).

Attached are her blood work results. I did them in Austria, where I am originally from.
My vet there told me that her protein levels are normal but she is losing protein in her urine.

My question is:
To ensure a good healing, which supplements do you suggest? Probiotic, Minerals, Vitamins, Enzymes, Detox, Fish oil? Can you recommend a specific brand and product?

I highly appreciate if you could answer as specifically as possible. I know there are a lot of supplements on the market but that makes it so hard for me to choose the right one. This is why I came across your website.

If possible, please also advise me to her diet, and if you have any other suggestions related to her condition.

Thank you,
Barbara

Editor Update: Following are links to larger versions of each of the 3 blood work reports:

- Dog Pancreatitis Blood Work Report 1
- Dog Pancreatitis Blood Work Report 2
- Dog Pancreatitis Blood Work Report 3

Comments for Pancreatitis Dog

My Online Vet Response for: Pancreatitis Dog

January 8, 2014

Hi Barbara,

You have a very cute little dog, and she does not look 13 years old! With the careful diet she has had all of her life, I am not sure how she developed pancreatitis. I am unable to read the lab reports you posted. The printing is too small, and I am not able to 'magnify' the writing. I would like to see if she had the Spec cPL test. This is a specific test for canine Pancreatic Lipase. Even if her lipase and amylase are normal, this will indicate if it is truly pancreatitis.

Also, too many vaccinations will contribute to a predisposition to an illness. So, if this started 3 weeks ago after she had a vaccination, there are homeopathic remedies that can be used to remove the effect of 'vaccinosis'.

For treatment of pancreatitis:
1. LOW FAT diet. You are already feeding her a good diet, although I do not recommend feeding celery to dogs. Cooked green beans and carrots would be a good addition to the foods you already listed.

2. B-vitamin complex plus B-12 injections weekly are good. I am not sure why she vomits after each injection. It may be that she is only getting B-12? (without the B-complex?) I usually give a dog her size, .2cc B-vitamin complex combined in the same syringe with .4cc of Vit B-12. Given Sub Q one time per week.

3. Supplements: Pancreatrophin by Standard Process, http://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Standard-Process/Pancreatrophin-PMG. Give her 1/2 tablet in her food, crushed, two times daily.

Mega C, by Orthomolecular Specialties, http://belfield.com/product/mega-c-plus-8-oz-226-4-gm/ powder. Add 1/8 tsp to her food two times daily. This is a vitamin/mineral supplement with high doses of buffered Vitamin C.

NO OIL. NO DETOX. NO ENZYMES at this time.

She should have some Acidophilus/probiotics only if she has diarrhea, or she has had some antibiotics.

I will contact the web master to send me her lab work in a pdf format. And respond to you after I have received it.

Where to Send Documents
by: Jeff

Hi Barbara,

Please email the original sizes of the 3 documents you sent to advice organic-pet-digest.com (replace with @).

Thanks,
Jeff
Organic Pet Digest

Thank you
by: Barbara

Thank you so much for your great reply.
This is a very helpful information. I sent the documents to Jeff and he will forward it to you. I already ordered the supplements. She has had antibiotic because she also had a bladder infection, so I may also find a good probiotic for her too.
She is 13 years old but very active and fit dog.
She travelled a lot with me through the years and I want to keep her around happy and healthy.

She had a very bad flea infestation in summer and I cannot stop thinking if that may can have anything to do with it.
Also my fiancé left for business reasons to another town before it started. She maybe missed him and the pancreatitis is stress related?
Or maybe I fed her to many carbohydrates or grains?
I was thinking about the cause of her illness a lot and we may never know for sure the real reason.
I have her on a diet without any grains at the moment. Just veggies and fish and turkey as she seems to digest that very well.

Again, thank you so much for the great reply and I appreciate that you take a look at her blood results.

Best, Barbara

Thank you
by: Barbara

Thank you so much for your great reply.

Best, Barbara

January 10, 2014

Hi Barbara,
The lab work is still not coming across in a format that can be enlarged. I think that you are still trying to send it.

Can you read it and tell if a test called
Spec cPL was done?

If not, you can ask your veterinarian to ADD it on. (They will need to charge you an add-on fee) The lab holds the blood for at least ONE week. So you will not have to take your dog back in, for another blood draw.