Painful Dog Hindquarters After Injury

by Gina F.
(Guaynabo, Puerto Rico)

My Boxer was chasing and tried to jump a fence, fell on the fence. He is unable to get up unassisted, has superficial deep and voluntary movement, hunched at T-L and slight drag , lameness left hind. Painful hindquarters, thoracolumbar. Can walk unassisted after he is helped up.

Took him in to the vet and this is the report:

SPINE November 12, 2014: Eleven images are provided.

FINDINGS: There is spondylosis at T12/T13 and L7/S1. The T12/T13 and
T13/L1 disc spaces are narrow and wedge-shaped. No disc mineralization is seen. There are no visible fractures or spinal malalignment. No aggressive vertebral lesions are seen. There is no visible thoracic or abdominal trauma or abnormality. No other significant abnormalities are seen.

PELVIS/STIFLES November 12, 2014: Two lateral views and a VD view are provided.

FINDINGS: There is no effusion in either stifle and no osseous abnormalities are seen in the stifle. The pelvis is normal. No other significant abnormalities are seen.

CONCLUSIONS: Suspected traumatic disc herniation at T12/T13 and/or T13/L1.
Disc herniation elsewhere and other spinal trauma cannot be ruled out.
Normal pelvis and stifles.

RECOMMENDATIONS: If there is not satisfactory improvement with medical management, spinal MRI or CT myelography would be recommended.

What do you recommend? because the vet says if he doesn't get better by today he will have to operate. And I don't see him any better.

Comments for Painful Dog Hindquarters After Injury

My Online Vet Response for: Painful Dog Hindquarters After Injury

November 13, 2014

Hi Gina,
Your vet should give your Boxer more than 24 hours to respond to medical treatment. He is not completely paralyzed. You wrote, "Can walk unassisted after he is helped up".

To me this indicates there has been bruising, and inflammation to the cord, but with time WITHOUT surgery, giving him intravenous steroids, pain management, and if he had some acupuncture to aid in the healing process, he should recover very well.

From the notes and history you sent, in my opinion, I would not suggest surgery.

Of course, if his condition deteriorates over the next 1-2 weeks, and he becomes paralyzed, and is not able to walk, becomes incontinent (urine and fecal), then surgery should be considered.

Take care, and a very speedy recovery for your Boxer!