Painful Bleeding Bumps with Warts on Dog's Paws

by Miluska
(San Diego, CA)

Bottom of my dog's paw - notice the two bumps

At first my dog would get bumps all over his body, the vet said he is too young to get an allergy test so they prescribed fish oil, hypoallergenic shampoo and conditioner. This worked and he no longer gets those itchy bumps on his body.

Months later I started noticing the bottom of his paws were reddish and turning a dark color. After taking him to the vet, the said he had a yeast infection and gave me a spray by GlenHaven Therapeutics (Rx: Hexachlor -K) to spray in between his toes daily.

Soon after, he got a red bump on the bottom of his back paw. I thought it was like a pimple but it grew and that is the biggest bump in the picture.

We took him to the vet and he got a needle aspiration. The results showed no cancerous cells or bacteria, and the vet said it was blood. But as you can see in the picture he now has another bump right below the first one and another bump on his front paw.

We took him to the vet again, they gave him a steroids shot and put him on antibiotics (tramadol) because he often bleeds from the bumps that have now developed warts.

Yesterday was his follow-up and once again they prescribed him more antibiotics (Rx: cefpodoxime proxetil) and benadryl (hydroxyzine) and told us to take him to a dermatologist.

At this point, my husband and I are looking for alternatives. Our poor boy bleeds from these bumps and starts limping after running. So far, we have changed his diet to a grain-free diet and we are soaking his feet in Epsom salt every other day

The vet cant determine what exactly his bumps are and I want to get other opinions before I consider paying 1000 for surgery.

What can I do to help these bumps go away?

By the way, Achilles is a 9 month old Boxer that has had skin issues since I got him.

Comments for Painful Bleeding Bumps with Warts on Dog's Paws

My Online Vet Response for: Painful Bleeding Bumps with Warts on Dog's Paws

Hi Miluska,
For Achilles, your 9 month old Boxer with 2 huge pink hairless masses on bottom of one hind foot and development of a new mass on top of another foot, he has developed vaccinosis. This is a condition that can arise due to vaccinations. And is probably what was causing the original bumps that he had in the beginning.

DO NOT give him any more vaccinations. Boxers are VERY susceptible to tumors anyway, and I do not want to have these masses to get worse. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for Achilles.

Your diet plan sounds good, but could be improved by considering a RAW dog food diet (click link for more info).

He needs to start on the homeopathic remedy, Thuya 200c. This is a prescription potency available from a holistic veterinarian. A holistic veterinarian will also be able to monitor his progress, and evaluate when to repeat the remedy, and/or increase in potency or when to change to a new remedy, depending on Achilles' response.

Also, NO toxic flea/tick products. See our page on Dog Flea Treatment and check out EVOLV from Wondercide.

And start him on few of these immune support products, like:

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),

painful bleeding bumps NEW
by: gwen

hello Our great dame is developing exactly the same bumps on his feet and bottom of paws. They open up on their own and start bleeding. He started with puppy acne, and that has since subsided I took him to the vet she suggested hydrocortisone cream. We tried to apply yesterday for the first time. so whether it works I do not know yet. the only thing different in his life is , dog park with wood chip base and dog camp. Im worried as well.

painful bleeding bumps NEW
by: gwen

painful bleeding bumps NEW
by: gwen

My Online Vet Response for: Painful Bleeding Bumps with Warts on Dog's Paws NEW

October 9, 2013

Dear Gwen,
Thanks for your question.

I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).