Outdoor Cat Has Open Sore

by Wendy

Photo of Cat's Open Sore

Photo of Cat's Open Sore

Photo of Cat's Open Sore
Photo of Cat's Open Sore

A few days ago I noticed my outdoor cat had lost a patch fur on her back. I didn't see any scratches or redness even though she seemed to not want me touching the spot.

Today I noticed an open sore. It looks like the top layer of skin is tearing apart and red, and there may be tissue or muscle showing. It must be very painful as she is twitching her tail and licking it.

Any idea what may cause this? Or what can I put on to help heal?

Comments for Outdoor Cat Has Open Sore

My Online Vet Response for: Outdoor Cat has open Sore

Hi Wendy,
Your kitty has a cat bite abscess that has ruptured. Please take her to a veterinarian for treatment. A holistic veterinarian would be preferable.

Also, your kitty would be MUCH healthier as an INDOOR cat. Cats allowed to be outside most or part of the time DO NOT have as long a life span as indoor only cats. Cat bite wounds are dangerous, not only due to the pain and debilitation and chance of septicemia, but they're also a major way of transferring Feline Aids.

Unfortunately, there is no home remedy or 'topical' treatment for a deep injury like this one. She should be seen by a veterinarian.

Same kind of sore.
by: Victoria

I have a cat, his name is Lego, and he has the same kind of sore. It looks just like this. Lego is also an outdoor cat. This sore worries me very much and I was also wondering what it is and what it is caused by.

My Online Vet Response for: Outdoor Cat has Open Sore

Hi Victoria,
For Lego, please follow the previous response that I gave to Wendy for her kitty. This is a cat bite abscess.

If you have more specific questions, I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

My Fathers Cat Smokey
by: Brittani

My fathers cat is also an outside cat, and his sore at first looked just like this one only its inbetween his hindlegs. Its been awhile and the last time I visited I saw that there are now smaller hole in and around the same place with a large hard bumb closer towards his male parts. The bump has a light line across it that looks like a scar from a previously healed wound. He walks akwardly and eats his food with his hind quarter in the air and wont gain weight, he looks sickly thin. When I first saw the single wound it was a year or longer ago and he hasnt had medical teatment whatsoever, do you think it progressed to something much worse? If so should we put him down?

Hi Brittani,
Please encourage your father to take Smokey in for treatment. It does not sound like he should be 'put down'. For him to have gone one year with an abscessed bite wound, and no medical treatment, he sounds pretty durable, but it sounds like he is in pain.

Thanks for your comment, and question, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).