Open wound on dog with skin rash

by Kathy Velasquez
(San Diego, CA, USA)

My dog started losing his hair maybe 3 days ago. I saw a small rash but now it has grown to a large open wound. There is still skin around it but there is blood and a small amount of pus near the center. It progressed very fast and I'm not sure if its because he scratched it a lot or if the bacteria is acting very quickly.

He looks uncomfortable but does not seem to be in a lot of pain. He has stopped scratching it but is very uncomfortable with it.

Most of this issue is on his back towards his tail. We see a small rash near his rectum and I also found one underneath his left arm (arm pit area).

I am not sure what may have caused this. I have been taking him walking with me to a manmade lake which may have introduced him to new bugs or germs of some sort. Also, our other pit bull has a skin rash about a month ago but never got bloody. His rash was mostly very dry skin. This dog has an open bloody wound.

I also feel very guilty about the lack of grooming. I groom him about once a week, not daily like he should. He is about a year old. A chow and lab mix I was told.

I am asking for any at home fix that we could use. We cannot afford the complete veterinary care right now.

Comments for Open wound on dog with skin rash

My Online Vet Response for Open Wound on Dog with Skin Rash

Hi Kathleen,
The photo of your dog's skin looks more like an abscess. I am not sure if it truly started as a 'rash' or 'irritation', or if it was the start of an infected wound.

Treatment for this is basic first aid. Using dog grooming clippers, clip all of the hair away from wound, with about an inch border. Clean with Dawn dishwashing soap, or even better, betadine scrub.

Rinse well to remove all soap. A good herbal ointment to use to help the wound heal quickly, is Calendula ointment or tincture. You can use either one, and apply two to three times daily for the next 5 days. It can be used on humans too.

You may need to scrub or wash all of the areas one time daily for the next 5 days, and you can apply the Calendula 2-3 times daily after cleaning to all the areas.

The wounds/rash should be healed in 7-10 days. I have seen similar lesions appear after a tick bite. And also after an injection was given.

If the rash clears, and the wounds heal but he has a relapse, or if everything takes much longer than this to clear up, then I would be very concerned about an internal problem with his immune system.

Seeking out the help of a holistic veterinarian, if he has ongoing issues, would certainly be advised. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: