Opaque Dog Eye - Possible Cataract - Happened while nusing in litter

by Amanda
(San Antonio, TX)

I bought this puppy from a friend who had a litter of Weimaraner's. He is eight weeks old. When I picked him up she told me his eye was scratched while nursing - 11 puppies and not 11 teats.

There is a grayish "blot" in the middle of his eye, it appears like it might be a cataract, but I've never experienced this before.

It appears that he can see out of that eye alright for now, but I wanted more information on what it is and what can be done holistically if anything. It is in his right eye. There is no discharge save the couple of eye buggers. He appears and acts perfectly happy and content.

I just got him and have not done anything yet. Thank you for the advice.

Comments for Opaque Dog Eye - Possible Cataract - Happened while nusing in litter

My Online Vet Response for:Opaque Dog Eye-Possible Cataract-Happened while nursing in litter

Hi Amanda,
What a cute puppy! It is difficult to diagnose from the photo if the opacity is on the lens or on the cornea. Either way, it can be helped holistically, but the exact location of the problem needs to be determined.

If his eye was scratched while nursing, then the injury would be to the cornea, and this opacity would be a scar. There are 10 homeopathic remedies useful for injuries, ulcers or scars on the cornea.

There are 56 remedies for opacity of the cornea.

If the problem is in the lens (meaning it is a cataract), there are 101 remedies useful for treatment of cataract.

You mentioned that there is no eye discharge, except 'eye buggers'. This would still constitute a discharge, and is important to note if it is dark or white, thick or thin, in one eye or both eyes. Also, any vaccinations should be stopped until the eye issue is resolved. And if this happened after a vaccination was given, and NOT due to an injury while nursing, it needs to be documented.

At this point, I would hesitate to recommend anything to you online. It would be best to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian. Try the AVH for a veterinarian close to you or click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area.