One of Dog's Eyes Is Smaller Than the Other

by Kathleen D
(Fairfield, PA)

Merida 12 weeks

Merida 12 weeks

I noticed that my dog's left eye seems a bit smaller than her right. Her eyes are clear and bright and the vet gave her a clean bill oh health.

You can see the membrane on her eye is more noticeable on the left eye. No discharge that is significant. Doesn't appear irritated and she does not scratch it.

Any ideas? I thought an allergy?

She is a 12 week old puppy that I purchased from a reputable breeder. She has all champion bloodlines. I met her parents and visited her each week until I took her home at 10 weeks.

Comments for One of Dog's Eyes Is Smaller Than the Other

My Online Vet Response For: One of Dog's Eyes is Smaller Than the Other

September 18, 2014

Hi Kathleen,
From the photo of Merida, it appears that she has Horner's Syndrome. Although, the photo is not close enough for me to see her pupils, this condition is characterized by:

1. Small pupil size (miosis)

2. Protrusion of the third eyelid

3. Drooping of the upper eyelid (ptosis)

I must confess, that I have never seen this problem in a puppy.

Although, after just returning from the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association Annual meeting, (AHVMA), one of the speakers commented that he is seeing more chronic illness in younger dogs. Conditions that would usually not be seen until a dog was 5-8 years old or older.

In fact, vaccinations came up as a BIG reason for this to occur.

I would be very suspicious that Merida may have developed this because of a reaction to a vaccine.

Take her to a veterinary ophthalmologist for a thorough exam, perhaps she has something completely different. I do not suspect allergies, as she is not itching or scratching.

You could also take her to a holistic veterinarian, that would start her on an 'anti-vaccinosis' homeopathic remedy, such as Thuya (Thuja occidentalis or Sulphur).

thanks
by: Kathleen d

My breeder is holistic and has her own protocols for vaccinations. She does not do 5 ways and will not give rabies until 12-16 weeks. She has had one set of vaccines, which was for parvo and distemper. If I look at Merida ' s 7 week pictures, the problem is not there. She sees the vet again in 7 days. If it worsens I will take her tomorrow.

My Online Vet Response for: One of Dog's Eyes Is Smaller Than the Other

September 18, 2014

Hi Kathleen,
In some cases Horner's syndrome, (if that is what it is), will spontaneously disappear in 2-4 weeks. (Were you able to look at the pupil of that eye? Is it smaller than the pupil of her right eye?)

She should NOT have any more vaccines, especially if there is some suspicion that a vaccine triggered this.

Hopefully, she recovers completely by 5-6 months of age, and I would wait until she is almost one year old, (or OVER 6 months old) before giving her a Rabies vaccine.

reply
by: Kathleen d

Hello. For as much as I could hold the wiggly devil still, her pupils are the same size. She doesn't appear to have the temp difference in that size that is part of the symptom profile.
Kathleen

My Online Vet Response for: One of Dog's Eyes is Smaller Than the Other

September 21, 2014

Hi Kathleen,
Well, then perhaps this is NOT Horner's Syndrome, but a transient condition that will clear up spontaneously.

You should definitely feed a healthy RAW diet for your little one, and no vaccines until the immune system is more mature, at over 6 months of age.

See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html, and wean him off of dry dog food.