Odd-smelling black-head-like rash on dog's stomach

by Sarah
(Iowa)

We got a new dog and noticed he has a rash like area on his stomach. I think it smells kind of weird and its partly black with red around it. It kind of looks like black heads in a big cluster.

Comments for Odd-smelling black-head-like rash on dog's stomach

My Online Vet Response for: Odd-smelling black-head-like rash on dog's stomach

Hi Sarah,
The photo you submitted was a bit off focus, but if this area is located on the underside of your dog's chest, then I suspect it is an area of abraded skin with 'in-grown' hairs, and 'folliculitis'. Just like you described it with black heads and a few pimples, and some bacteria causing the odd smell.

Bathe and scrub the area once daily with baby shampoo. Follow with an application of hydrogen peroxide as an anti-septic. It may take 1-2 weeks to improve.

Provide a healthy diet for your new dog. No DRY DOG food - provide canned and/or consider a raw diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options for recommendations. The skin and hair coat need plenty of moisture in the diet to maintain health.

Also, there are numerous supplements available for skin and for the immune system, including:

1. Omega 3 fish oil for dogs
(give 1,000 mg/50 lb/day)

A holistic veterinarian can look at your dog 'in person' and determine if there is some other problem occurring. Especially if there is no improvement with bathing.