Non-itchy, red inflamed dog rash appeared ALL OVER belly and legs

by Andrea Meadows
(Mount Desert, ME)

My 2 year old female Staffordshire Bull Terrier has developed a rash all of a sudden. But it does not seem to bother her and she does not scratch it. The pictures are from this morning, and the rash isn't nearly as red or inflamed as it was yesterday.

We have just moved from Wisconsin to Maine - the weather is the same and the pollen is the same. There are a few more plants, but it's not much different as far as climate goes.

We got her at 5 months of age, and she has always had sensitive skin, so we make sure to feed a food with lots of omega 6. We had her on Wellness Core (the ocean formula) for a while, but then switched to Taste of the Wild (roasted Fowl flavor) - both are grain-free foods. She has been on this food for at least 6 months now.

She has also been on Frontline for months, and even with our recent encounter with fleas, she did not get them.

When we first saw her belly it just seemed like lots of scratches, as she does run like a maniac through the country woods with our other dogs. We thought it was scratches because she has almost no fur on her belly and no undercoat for protection against twigs and branches. She has NOT lost fur with this rash by the way.

One recent thing that I can think of that may have done this to her is the flea encounter - my other dog got the fleas, but she did not. So I went out and bought "Flea-breeze" for carpets and sprayed all of our carpets with it. I sprayed it at night, waited for it to dry overnight, then vacuumed the next morning.

The only other change is now instead of going to the bathroom on a leash, my dogs use an old chicken coop (fenced in) for their bathroom - but neither of my other dogs have this problem (they are a 4 year old female, black lab and a 4 year old male husky/malamute mix).

If the "flea-breeze" is the most likely reason for her rash, what is the best treatment?

If not, what might it be? We have only noticed it the past few days. We have not attempted anything, just in case.

She has never had anything like this before - only a bit of dry skin before we got her on good food. She is completely vaccinated - but has not had any recently.

Comments for Non-itchy, red inflamed dog rash appeared ALL OVER belly and legs

My Online Vet Response to Non-itchy, red inflamed dog rash All OVER belly and legs
by: Carol Jean Tillman DVM

Hi Andrea,
Thank you for your in depth question regarding your 2 year old Female Staffordshire Bull Terrier. From the photos you submitted, it looks like she has complete lack of hair on her entire underside. A lack of hair (called alopecia) would certainly make her skin more sensitive to the environment. As you mentioned, running through brush, scratching from allergies, topical medications such as Frontline, ammonia from the urine in the chicken coop, etc. would all contribute to a 'rash'.

In my opinion, finding out why she has the lack of hair would be the first step in restoring her health. Causes of alopecia (lack of hair) are numerous and include hormonal problems, genetic or inherited conditions, or nutritional deficiencies.

There are several possible causes of hair loss, including abnormal estrogen levels in spayed dogs, Cushing's disease (abnormal adrenal gland function) and low thryroid levels.

A complete blood test from your veterinarian will help to rule out the above conditions.

Genetic or inherited conditions will be more difficult to pinpoint. Knowing if her dam or sire has thin hair or alopecia would help.

You seem to have considered improving her diet, but she may need to have some raw meat added. Check our Dog Skin Conditions page to learn more about the impact of dry vs moist food.

Continuing the Omega 3 fish oil for dogs is a good idea - about 1,000-2,000 mg daily for her size. Also add Vitamin E (100 IU per day) and Zinc (.32mg per pound per day) to her diet. I am not familiar with the Flea-Breeze, but if she does not have fleas, I would suggest stopping the Frontline and the Flea-Breeze.

I would also strongly advise finding a holistic veterinarian in your area to better understand and improve your dog's overall health.

Okay, just making sure...
by: Andrea Meadows

The picture is deceiving - as she does have hair, still all over her body (as mentioned in my post, she did NOT lose hair from this condition) it's just thin, white hair on pink skin. It's normal for the breed (aka pitbulls).

I only did the flea-breeze once, so that I already stopped - and I do the Frontline for ticks - as we live in "tick-central", but perhaps I can find something else for that.

I mentioned it because this condition only started 2-3 days ago and she has been on Frontline and her food for months - so I don't think those were causes. But I was really wanting to see if it was obvious to you what it was, other than what I thought, and since it does not appear to be anything else, then I will just clean the carpets I sprayed with flea-breeze, perhaps keep her out of the chicken coop, and add more omega 3 to her diet. Thanks!

My Online Vet Response to Non-itchy inflamed dog rash ALL OVER belly and Legs

Hi Andrea,
It is difficult from the photo to see any hair on her underside. But I think with this sudden acute rash appearing, it may be from any of the things you have mentioned. Also, dogs are prone to poison ivy and poison oak if there are any of those growing where she may have access to them.

Giving her an oatmeal shampoo will help decrease the redness, and provide a little relief to her skin.

Instead of the Frontline for tick prevention you could try one of these more natural methods:
Ark Naturals Neem Protect Spray as a tick and flea repellent found on our Dog Flea and Tick Medicine page.

Buck Mountain Organic Parasite Dust is another good option.

If the problem is not improving, then it might be best to find a holistic veterinarian in your area.

Non-itchy rash

I don't know how old this post is, but I'm wondering if you ever found out what the rash was from. I have a little pity girl who has a very similar rash. It's red patchy but not itchy no skin loss not scaly not greasy and not smelly. Also unlike most rashes on Bowleys my dog only has her rash on her back. Our vet gave us some topical medication that may or may not be working. The rash is not getting worse, but it is not clearing up and it has been almost 7 days now.

Dog rash

My dog has been suffering from itchy belly and pores on and off. Finally we have the answer - i have spent a fortune of antibiotics and prednisilone etc. we have a plant in our garden called - Wandering Jew - I dont like the name but that is what it is called. She runs theough it chasing birds - thats when it started. Apparently a lot of dogs are allergic to this plant.

Hope this helps.

"Snowy" non-itchy with black areas
by: Melinda

Hoping you can help me. My precious 1 yr old puppy (1/2 Great Pyr - 1/2 St. Bernard)was groomed March 26, 2015. On Tuesday, March 31st, we felt scabby areas. Investigating further, we noticed these black scabs about 4" in length from top of right shoulder to mid rib. A few days later, we found other areas with the same. They don't seem to bother her, no itching, no scratching, no licking. Areas are not inflamed, no redness. She has had no contact with other dogs, always leashed walked (not in woods) and nothing at home to harm her. (I am home with her all of the time)I did cut her hair in the areas and sprayed an antibiotic on those areas. Today is April 4th and still the same. Have called vet 3X and overbooked until Monday. Have searched on line and can't find out what this could be. Any help would be vastly appreciated! Many Thanks, Melinda (email addy: bumpsnwarts@yahoo.com)

Dogs rash on tummy
by: Kelly

We also just switched to taste of wild do you think it could be the food?