Nickel-sized Dog Wart or Infection

by Holly
(Epping, NH, USA)

My dog appears to have an infection or a wart? I've never seen anything like it. The wound seems to be slightly bleeding, and is definitely bothering her because she licks it a lot.

She also is sensitive to the area and tries to keep my family from getting close to it. We noticed the wound about a month ago, it appears to be the same size as it was at the time we noticed it (The wound is about the size of a nickel.)

We have not yet taken action for any treatment for it, because we assumed maybe it would heal on its own. Now a month has passed and it appears to have made no progress or gotten worse. The pictures I have attached were just taken before I started writing this.

She is a Black Lab/Sheppard Mix and is about ten years old.

I hope this is enough information so we can find out what's going on with our Lady. Thank you for your help.

-The Augustonovich Family

Comments for Nickel-sized Dog Wart or Infection

My Online Vet Response for: Nickel-sized Dog Wart or Infection

September 5, 2014

Hi Holly,
The lesion is not a wound, it appears to be an infected wart. The wart was probably smaller and covered by hair. As it became infected, it became swollen, and more traumatized from her licking it.

If you can put a soft E-collar on her, this will prevent her from licking it and causing more irritation, preventing it from healing. One brand is by Trimline,

Then you can clean it two times daily with hydrogen peroxide for at least 2-3 weeks.

To help the wart shrink, use the homeopathic remedy Thuya ointment. (Thuja occidentalis)
Available online at numerous locations, or at you local health food store. Apply it to the wart ONE time daily for 3-6 weeks.

Warts, growths, tumors arise due to vaccinations. I would advise seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption to avoid any future vaccinations for your dog.

Thank You
by: Holly Augustonovich

Thank you for your help, after researching and looking at photo's, I had suspicions that this may be the case. Your work is much appreciated- and thanks for the fast reply!

-The Augustonovich Family