New Red Bump on Dog's Face

by Gina
(Guaynabo, PR)

I check all my dogs every morning for ticks. And this morning I found what I thought to be a tiny tick on my Chesapeake face, but it wasn't.

He is 7 years old is on a raw diet and hasn't been vaccinated since he was one year old. He is very active and swims in our pool almost everyday for at least an hour.

What could this be?

Comments for New Red Bump on Dog's Face

My Online Vet Response for: New Red Bump on Dog's Face

September 18, 2014

Hi Gina,
It may be where a tick bit him and then fell off, but it almost appears to be a draining tract. As if he had a puncture wound from a stick, which had a small piece break off and is now trying to work its way out to the surface.

If you lived in the Western USA, I would be more suspicious of a foxtail. But here are NO foxtails in Puerto Rico!

I would treat this as an 'open' wound. Clip the hair away to prevent premature scab formation, and use hydrogen peroxide to clean it, allowing some peroxide to enter the wound. Give him Silicea 30C or 12C THREE times daily for the next 3 days. This is a good remedy to remove foreign bodies, and also for treating abscesses.