Natural Treatments for Dog Heart Failure & Tracheal Coughs

by Sheryl

Our vet diagnosed my dog with heart failure and tracheal coughs. He is slower but otherwise alert and positive.

He is taking enalipril 2.5mg 2xday and furosemide 12.5 2xday. His vet wants to add yet another water pill (I didn't do it).

I would like to give him Hawthorne berry, Glucosomine & Condroitin and Slippery elm if you think it would be safe with his meds?

I know that Hawthorne Berry is a good tonic and also a diuretic so I do not want to dehydrate him.

My dog is a toy poodle (about 12-13 lbs) that turned 13 yesterday.

Thank you, Sheryl

Comments for Natural Treatments for Dog Heart Failure & Tracheal Coughs

My Online Vet Response for: Natural Treatments for Dog Heart Failure & Tracheal Coughs

July 13, 2014

Hi Sheryl,
The addition of Hawthorn, Glucosamine, and Chondroitin would be an excellent plan for your toy poodle with congestive heart disease.

According to Dr. Shawn Messonnier, in Nutritional Supplements for the Veterinary Practice, "Hawthorn has not been shown to interact negatively or cause any adverse effects when prescribed with any other cardiac medications." He goes on to say, "Combining Hawthorn with diuretics in patients with congestive heart failure may lead to further reduction of symptoms and reduced adverse effects associated with diuretics."

The dose for your dog, a toy poodle (about 12-13 lbs) approximately 6 kg, would be 25-300 mg/kg/day, in divided doses. Therefore, at the lowest dose, you would give, (25X6=150mg), 150 mg per day, but divide it into 50 mg THREE times daily.

Glucosamine and Chondroitin are excellent for joint support, and will not interfere with the cardiac drug Enalapril or with the diuretic, fureosemide. Make sure you give at least 300 mg one to two times daily.

You mentioned that you are also giving Slippery Elm. I use this herb for diarrhea. I am not sure why you mentioned it.

I would advise that you feed a diet that is LOW sodium, preferably a homemade diet. Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats has some good recipes. This would be far superior to the commercial brands such as H/D by Hill's.

And, I suggest adding CoEnzyme Q-10, 10-20 mg daily, is an excellent supplement to help the heart!

Lastly, NO VACCINATIONS! Find a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for your dog.