Natural Treatment for Dog Gingivitis

by Gina F.
(Guaynabo, PR)

I have a 5 yr old Boxer with swollen gums. The vet said he has gingivitis and recommended that I get his teeth cleaned in order to fix the problem.

Is this necessary or is their a safer natural way to heal him?

Thanks, Gina

Comments for Natural Treatment for Dog Gingivitis

My Online Vet Response for: Natural Treatment for Dog Gingivitis

July 10, 2014

Hi Gina,
From the photo of your Boxer dog, it is difficult to see the teeth. But what I can see of the incisors, they look very worn down. The swelling that I see is more typical of micro-abscesses of the roots of those teeth.

Boxer breeds are notorious for chewing and gnawing on everything, including NON food items!

When the enamel has worn down so far to expose the dentin, and then the pulp, it leaves the roots open for infection.

Of course, if there is tartar, then cleaning the teeth, would help treat gingivitis, and providing tartar control treats after each meal would be a natural way to control gingivitis.

Boxers are also susceptible to overgrowth of gum tissue called 'epulis'. This needs to be surgically removed.

Diagnosis of micro-root abscesses requires general anesthesia and dental x-rays. I am not sure if your veterinarian is equipped for that. I suggest seeking a veterinarian that is a specialist in dentistry for a second opinion.